Re: VFO Tech Support, was: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I know at least one guy who created an early DOS screen reader, so he could maintain his chosen vocation as a programmer.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:33 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: VFO Tech Support, was: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 04:27 pm, Randy Barnett wrote:

I do most anything I need too but you are right there is no doubt that sight helps and is critical in some situations.

Thank you very much for reflecting back what I had tried to communicate.  It makes me confident that I hit my target.

This is definitely not about encouraging dependence or questioning an individual's abilities.  It's really is a tool to situation feature matching exercise when time is of the essence.

As an aside, it's been interesting to me over time as I've read folks who are blind and who are computer programmers.  Having been one I would never, ever have thought that this would be possible while retaining one's sanity at the same time.  I was wrong, and it's fascinating to see both the similarities and differences in how the whole task is approached depending on an individual's sensory palette.