Re: help with verbalizing items

Carol Smith

Thank you. This works great for number input only, but I suppose I can get used to using the words mode and just double-check entries when in standard typing. Window-Eyes had a specific setting where numbers could be echoed every time a number was pressed and I used that a lot. I do, however, use words much more often than numbers, so I guess this will just be one more transition. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Carol

On 5/20/2017 10:04 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
You might want to set on character and word. I have mine set on character, but if you want to hear the numbers like that, character and word would get it for you. Otherwise, you won't hear anything until you hit a Spacebar or punctuation.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 9:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: help with verbalizing items

When I have my setting to characters, of course, it will do this, but I type fast enough that I prefer to use words. If I type something like dv-12345, I don't hear the numbers until I press enter, space or punctuation.

For some things, it is not a problem, but when editing numbers, I prefer to make certain I am entering them correctly, so I prefer to press 1 and hear 1 and then 2 , hear 2, etc. I just went back and made another couple of test changes. There does not seem to be a way to do what I am looking for. Thank you, though, for being so helpful. Doing these things are a good way to learn what type of things are found in different settings and how to use them.

Carol

On 5/19/2017 9:26 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi again, Carol. My copy of JAWS echoes back numbers as they are typed, regardless of which setting Characters/Words/None is on with INSERT plus Two.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: help with verbalizing items

Thank you very much. My main concern is when typing the numbers from
the keyboard. The reading is not a problem as much as I need to hear
what I am typing. I don't want all numbers spoken this way, grin. This
would have been a keyboard setting in Window-Eyes. I did find the
setting for echoing words and I have that set, but will this result in
echoing numbers as digits when being typed?

Carol

On 5/19/2017 9:09 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Carol. If you press the INSERT or JAWS key as it is sometimes called by JAWS users, with the number two on the numbers row, you can change whether JAWS echos back characters, words, or nothint at all. If it is set to echo words, the word will be spoken right after pressing the space bar, or a punctuation key.

As to setting numbers to be spoken as single digits, this setting is under JAWS Settings, INSERT plus six on the number row. Then navigate down to Text Processing, and change the setting to single digits, controlled by synthesizer. That should allow speaking of single digits.

I hope this helps you.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 6:32 PM
Subject: help with verbalizing items

In Window-Eyes, it was possible to have words spoken after pressing
space or punctuation or the spacebar. It was also possible to have each
digit of a number spoken immediately when typed, such as 123 being
echoed as 1 2 3. Is this possible with Jaws? Also, I read earlier that
someone had asked if there was a way to get Jaws to stop saying alt
tab. If that question was answered, I did not see a reply. Of course,
I have gone through over 300 email messages today, and it is very
possible I might have overlooked the reply. So, I am asking again,
grin. Thanks.

Carol

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.