Re: help with verbalizing items

Carol Smith

Thank you. This works great for number input only, but I suppose I can get used to using the words mode and just double-check entries when in standard typing. Window-Eyes had a specific setting where numbers could be echoed every time a number was pressed and I used that a lot. I do, however, use words much more often than numbers, so I guess this will just be one more transition. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Carol

On 5/20/2017 10:04 AM, Carolyn Arnold wrote:
You might want to set on character and word. I have mine set on character, but if you want to hear the numbers like that, character and word would get it for you. Otherwise, you won't hear anything until you hit a Spacebar or punctuation.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carol Smith via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 9:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: help with verbalizing items

When I have my setting to characters, of course, it will do this, but I type fast enough that I prefer to use words. If I type something like dv-12345, I don't hear the numbers until I press enter, space or punctuation.

For some things, it is not a problem, but when editing numbers, I prefer to make certain I am entering them correctly, so I prefer to press 1 and hear 1 and then 2 , hear 2, etc. I just went back and made another couple of test changes. There does not seem to be a way to do what I am looking for. Thank you, though, for being so helpful. Doing these things are a good way to learn what type of things are found in different settings and how to use them.

Carol

On 5/19/2017 9:26 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi again, Carol. My copy of JAWS echoes back numbers as they are typed, regardless of which setting Characters/Words/None is on with INSERT plus Two.

Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com