Re: VFO Tech Support, was: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

Gudrun Brunot

Oh, Brian, thank you for these words! I once called Freedom Scientific Tech support and got one visually equipped person who could immediately help me because he could see what was going on. I later had a problem with the WordFinder program (a translation dictionary tool) for which JAWS wasn't working too efficiently. I called Freedom Scientific and got a tech support assistant who, from what I could tell, was not visually equipped. I explained that, perhaps, a sighted person would be more able to see what JAWS should be showing and wasn't, and provide helpful feedback as to what I could do to have it work better. The woman got very huffy, obviously deeply insulted. I told her there was a reason for my asking for a sighted assistant, implying no slur to blind tech support people, but to a situation where sight might be helpful, and there was no need to get huffy. Obviously, she was not impressed...

Gudrun

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 4:24 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: VFO Tech Support, was: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

It is the great lie to believe that sight may not be important or critical in solving certain problems quickly and efficiently.

I have been, and probably will be, castigated for stating that but it's true.

Stating the above says nothing, positive or negative, about the competence of someone who's blind or visually impaired. What it does say is that you sometimes face the choice of taking forever to get through something that someone who sees literally sees in real time. When dealing with a primarily visual medium it only makes sense to take that into account when you're in a bind that you need to get out of as promptly as possible.

There is no shame, and no weakness, implied in asking for the most effective assistance one can get in any given situation where one needs it. If one has the luxury of time, and wants to learn something for the sake of learning it, then go methodically plowing through it (and this applies regardless of whether you have vision or not). But if I'm in a work situation and I need something resolved that sight would most likely make faster, it is absolutely not the job of technical support to treat the request as though it were a personal aspersion and they should, in fact, know this themselves if they've been at the job for more than a brief period of time.
--
Brian Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built. Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.