Re: Office 365

I completely agree that if we are using these applications for work and want to be competitive it is important to stay up-to-date with software. Office 365 is a subscription, but you can download and install the Office Suite just the same as if you were to go and buy a copy of Office 2016. The advantage is that while it is an annual payment, it is in my opinion reasonable and it is made even more attractive by the fact you get 1 Tb of OneDrive storage and 60 monthly Skype minutes with it. You also are always up-to-date and while there always seem to be some challenges, I feel that Microsoft does have a commitment to accessibility and that in time this will actually lead to overall improvements and better accessibility rather than the other way round.

Regards,
Sieghard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Robbins
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Office 365

I think we simply need to embrace and work out issues as they arise. I deal with the same thing with JAWS and IOS

Al

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:43 AM

Oh, I understand completely, Mike.

The thing is, though, that Microsoft is increasingly moving toward subscription services like Office 365. So, eventually, systems like Office 2010 are going to become obsolete and no longer supported.

I find myself railing aginst this trend more and more, because of its potentially serious accessibility implications for us, but I'm not quite sure what the best alternative really is at this time.

Will be interesting in the coming years, for sure.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:36 AM

Tom, this is the biggest reason I never signed up for MS 365. I've stayed with Office 2010 because I can use it easly and don't have to worry about newer versions and there lack of accessibility with JAWS.
Just my 1.96 cents worth.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:10 AM

Don:

For the most part, I would say that Jaws works reasonably well with Office 365, and particularly with Word and Outlook.

However, I do find that when Office 365 is updated (which turns out to be fairly frequently), certain functions that used to work properly no longer do. One recent example in this regard has been the ability to effectively navigate and edit e-mail groups in Outlook. For some reason, the usual arrow and other key commands don't seem to work as well as they once did.

I'll be interested in the thoughts of others.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:04 AM
Subject: Office 365

Does Jaws work well with Microsoft Office 365? Mostly concerned about how well it would work with Word and Outlook.
Thanks

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.