Re: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

Ted,

I think it is not uncommon that we speak to tech support agents that are much younger than us and have of course not been using computers as long. That however does not mean they don’t know more or can’t help with specific problems. You do of course run into some which seem to be not too knowledgeable and as far as I am concerned that is primarily a training issue, but if you call with the attitude that you have been using a PC longer and know more than you might as well not call, do the research about whatever problem you have and fix it yourself. I have been helped in a big way by Microsoft Accessibility as well as by Jaws support and other support lines on numerous occasions, if I feel I am talking to somebody who isn’t competent or willing to try his or her best I just hang up and call back or maybe ask for a higher level of support.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 8:31 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

When we first started teaching Windows to talk here at the cabinet, DFB in Kentucky was promoting JAWS.  At that time, it was basic transportation, but stable, and that was 20 years ago.  I’d like to explore NVDA in some depth, but  may not find the time in the immediate future.

Re:  tech support, overall it has been really strong, but I have noticed a slight tendency toward condescension in some newer personnel.  I’ll bet a nickel I’ve been using  PC’s longer than the last twit to whom I spoke, but there’s one in every crowd.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

Just for a tiny bit of perspective from someone who was once "on the other side" as a software developer it is unrealistic to expect any software maker to support a given version of something "in perpetuity."  Now, mind you, that's not to say that say, three or four of the most recent versions of a piece of software such as JAWS should not be simultaneously maintained, as I believe they should.  As many have pointed out, they're not seeking the new "bells and whistles" that are perpetually being added not only to JAWS, but to almost any piece of software you can name that's under active maintenance.   Freedom Scientific (now VFO) has historically been using "upgrade to the new version" as their fix for everything for as long as I've been tutoring JAWS.  What's worse, and I've experienced it more than once, is that there have been instances where the new version breaks existing functionality in specific circumstances and how that escaped testing is beyond me.

The long and the sort of it is that there are now very serious and very good competitors to JAWS that are available at little or no cost, depending on whether they ship with the OS you're using or not.  If I had my druthers the state agency for which I do most of my tutoring would have transitioned to one of those several years ago, but getting any bureaucracy to change is a long, slow proposition.  At the individual level it need not be and for certain alternatives the learning curve is not particularly steep.
--
Brian        Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Many are under the gross misapprehension that the Constitution is a cage and a laundry-list rather than a framework upon which great things have been and still will be built.  Many things that are entirely Constitutional are not "in the Constitution," but are allowed under it.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.