Re: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Could someone contact me off list so I can attempt to use it?  Thanks

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

No charge whatsoever.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis L
Sent: May-17-17 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: The answer is not to tell us that buying a new version of JAWS is the proper solution.

So even if you want me to control your computer and I gave you the user id there is no charge?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:45 PM

No cost to use tandem. The one caviat is that you can only help someone by tandem using your version of JAWS or lower. So, if you have JAWS 17, you cannot help someone with JAWS 18.

Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:40 PM

Is that a cost that I need to pay to use that service if so how much?

Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:35 PM

It's under utilities, then under JAWS Tandem. In the Tandem Center submenu, you have two options depending on whether you are the helper or the helpee. Allow access to my computer, or get access to a computer. If you choose the second option, you'll be taken to a dialogue where it'll want you to generate a meeting ID. This meeting ID is what you give to someone who wants you to take control of their machine.

Sent: May-17-17 3:24 PM

So if I wanted to help someone I am able to do that at no cost ?   How would I use tandom?

Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:05 PM

Very minor clarification here. Tandem is free in JAWS. Tandem direct costs extra. The main difference of course being Tandem direct doesn't go through FS/VFO's servers first, and the method of actually establishing a connection is different. Most useful if you're doing work on an internal network. I paid for the feature, but I can't honestly recall ever using it.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Minor
Sent: May-17-17 2:50 PM

Hi Tim and all.

Before I go into my response to what you wrote, I’ll state that you have every right to your opinions.  It may be just we have to agree to disagree.

I’d like to address two points in your email, Tim.

The first one is that Windows 10 changed how to access information in the file explorer dialogue.  This isn’t a JAWS problem.  JAWS is reading the dialogue correctly.  Instead of JAWS being the faulty part of this issue, I’d say it’s a Microsoft issue.  I have no idea why Windows 10 changed its method of working with the file explorer.  Also, another thing that’s strange on my PC running the latest JAWS and Windows 10 is the Windows Explorer dialogue is the last item in the windows dialogue.  Instead of using WINDOWS+TAB to open the dialogue of tasks, then hitting RIGHT ARROW to get to the dialogue, you hit LEFT ARROW to find it, select it, hit WINDOWS+TAB again then press ENTER to get focus to the dialogue.  Perhaps VFO could change things to work the way they used to, but for me I have no problem with how things work.  Ribbons are another example.  JAWS does have the option to make the ribbon behave like the old menu structure, but for me I might as well learn how ribbons work.  I haven’t seen other screen reader manufacturers add this feature to their software.

The second area where we may have to agree to having differences in opinions is the cost of SMAs for JAWS, and that it’s more expensive than other screen readers.  I own both Window-Eyes and JAWS.  For personal reasons I prefer JAWS.  Window-Eyes wasn’t as stable as JAWS, so it’s what I use.  I could be wrong with my information, but I believe that an SMA for Window-Eyes is $100 per SMA, the same price as a pro SMA for JAWS.  You can get a home SMA for JAWS for less than what was available for Window-Eyes.  Before folks start thinking I’m happy with all that VFO has done, I think that the company should give the features available forWindow-Eyes the same as JAWS.  I don’t know if this is still true, but I think you have to pay for the tandem option in JAWS, and it was free in Window-Eyes.  As I said, I could have that information wrong, but I do know that in the past Window-Eyes offered things that you would pay for in JAWS.

That’s my opinion on things.  You have every right to disagree with me.  As I said, I have both Window-Eyes and JAWS on my PC.  I’m pleased VFO will transfer SMAs from Window-Eyes to JAWS.We’ll have to see what happens.

Have a blessed day and don’t work too hard.

Kevin Minor and the amazing Jilly, Lexington, KY

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.