Re: New user here; JAWs questions and concerns

Shannon

I am running windows 8.1.

I am not a big fan of it either. Actually I am not sure what exactly I don’t like. This computer has been goofy since I got it. Not sure if it was Windows or WE but it gives me fits all the time in all the programs mentioned. Don’t really  know which is the culprit.

Thanks

Shannon

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New user here; JAWs questions and concerns

Jaws works with office 2010 pretty well. Surfing the web and doing most tasks. Witch version of windows do you have at work? win 7 is my preference and most business's still use it.
On 5/17/2017 10:19 AM, Dennis L wrote:

Jaws works fine with office 2010.  It can surf the web fine.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shannon
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:01 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: New user here; JAWs questions and concerns

Good morning,

I am a potential new user of JAWS. I would be one of many conversions from WindowEyes.

I have downloaded the trial of JAWS 18 and pretty concerned about what it can and cannot do.

I know that there is a large learning curve I will have to go through, and that is only one of my concerns.

I have been reading the list for the last few days and a few things mentioned by others concern me.

I also use here at work Office 2010, Outlook, Word and Excel all the time.

I saw a mention of excel not working well with JAWS? Is that true? That would be a deal breaker for me.

I use spread sheets every single day to do my job. I also use on a daily basis the MS Query feature. Will JAWS handle the queries?

I make mail merge documents frequently and they tie to the MS Databases.

Will Jaws work with outlook 2010? I have over 10 different email profiles set up and I need access to them.

Does JAWS have a way to search the screen for text or buttons to be clicked by the mouse or a “HotSpot” feature as WE did/does? I use that feature everyday along with custom scripts to get access to the time keeping software programs.

The language in the control panel seams so foreign to me. I can’t tell, but it seems as if Jaws acknowledges 4 kinds of cursers? A virtual curser, a JAWS curser, PC Curser, and something called Mouse overlay?

Is the Jaws curser the mouse? What is the Mouse overlay? Can I read the screen with the mouse?

Since I am new and don’t know how it works and how to configure it I can’t tell what I can and can’t do.

I can tell that many functions of the accounting program, and the three programs that are involved in time tracking do not behave well and most likely are going to require special custom scripts.

Before I spend a lot of money and time I want to know if Jaws can even do the little stuff like Office and surfing the web?

If JAWS doesn’t like Office 2010 what version does it like?

Thanks for your time.

Shannon

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.