Re: question for a friend.

Ken,

         I don't have Magic on my machine but have worked with it.  Has she checked out the "Set screen echo" command, INSERT+S to see if there might be something there that might work?

        She could also toggle speech off entirely for the duration of the game if that is something that will work for her.  Using MAGicKey+F3 will toggle between full speech or speech on demand and if the latter is selected speech is, for all practical intents and purposes, off unless you intentionally trigger it for a specific purpose.