Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

If A project absolutely required a tool such as Publisher, one could prepare a reasonable draft in Word, and then turn it over to a pro--just as some of us routinely did in the days before desktop PC's took all the drudgery out of typing.

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nicole Massey
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 5:24 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

Yes, of course. And yes, there are a lot more steps in doing desktop layout with Word than with Publisher, as Word isn't optimized for such things. This is why I drew the parallel with Sibelius, which also has some pretty specific layout requirements and *has* been made accessible enough to turn out stuff sighted folks can process into usable information.
I always preferred Framemaker to Publisher myself back in the days when I could see.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2017 4:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Jaws and Microsoft Publisher

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 02:06 pm, Nicole Massey wrote:

If proper layout can be done in Sibelius it can be done in Publisher

If basic layout is all that's being sought then I'd definitely go for a tool other than Publisher.

Desktop publishing is about a lot more than simple layout, which can be accomplished with many more accessible tools such as MS-Word.

Fitting the tool to both the user and the actual task, for any user and any actual task, is always a good idea. Putting someone in the cockpit of a commercial airliner and telling them to fly it when what you're looking for is a paper airplane tossed across a room makes no sense.
--
Brian

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.