Re: web mail or thunderbird

Jed,

       I don't think there is a "one best answer" because it really depends on what any given individual wants and how well they can handle (as in not get frustrated by) the web mail interface(s) they'd be using versus the e-mail client program [likely singular] they'd be using with screen reader(s).

       As Randy has already noted, using an e-mail client, whether Thunderbird or other, allows you to read one or more e-mail accounts all in one place with one interface you need to learn with the screen reader(s) you choose to use.  This is a great advantage as far as someone beginning to use screen readers, but for someone who's a sophisticated user already and who doesn't mind having to memorize the extra bits specific to any e-mail providers web interface they may not want to use an e-mail client.  Most e-mail client programs also support a unified inbox, which puts messages from all of your e-mail accounts into what appears to be a single inbox, which some people love [I don't, I have separate e-mail accounts for separate purposes and prefer to visit the actual inbox of each so I know exactly what I'm dealing with at the moment].  As far as screen readers go at the moment it seems that Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail 2012 (which can be downloaded from here and works just fine for POP/IMAP access to e-mail servers) are both the most accessibility friendly.

        It all comes down to what suits you best and to tell the truth only you can determine that and the best way to do so is try an e-mail client and try the web interfaces for the accounts you have to see which access method you like better.  My only word of caution is that if you are using an e-mail client to access your messages, and you anticipate using other devices to do so as well or will need to occasionally use the web interface for a "quick check" on someone else's machine, definitely set your e-mail accounts up such that they use IMAP access to the server rather than POP.

--
Brian