Re: Getting rid of MS Edge as the default open app

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Sorry I don't understand your issue with what I said... There are links all through the OS that open in edge no matter what your settings... MS has also changed my default search engine from google. to Bing. It is hard to know every instance that this applies too So I was just pointing this out...

On 5/12/2017 2:40 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
go to windows update and click on get more help... It opens in Edge...
On 5/12/2017 1:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Randy,

         Then I want the steps to reproduce them.  And this is not because I don't believe you, but because I have not been able to induce what you're describing.

          I have never had any search engine "silently changed" to anything with the exception of once during one of the major updates, I think to version 1607, where a bunch of other settings that users can reset got set back to the defaults that Microsoft thought appropriate.   I have expressed my outrage at this practice, or at least not telling people that they need to recheck certain specific settings, repeatedly.

          I just clicked on a link in a Help dialog in MS-Publisher 2010 and it's being presented in Firefox, my default browser.  If I can replicate what you're reporting then I may also be able to figure out how to block it from occurring.  The only thing I've come to accept that I have no control over is what happens with Cortana web search results (always shown in MS-Edge and always produced using Bing Search).
--
Brian