From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: 07 May 2017 21:04
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: VFO has acquired the Pacielo Group

I think VFO as Pablo said has some good leadership and I have a feeling they
are thinking ahead. It sounds to me like this organisation they acquired is
in the business of trying to promote accessible web development and I think
it is very encouraging for a company like VFO to jump onto this bandwagon.
They know that the more websites are made accessible by web developers and
the more there are standards being used, the better can they make Jaws to
work with said standards in accessibility.
One example of what is possible is shown by canadian government websites.
They are committed to be accessible and just about all of them follow web
accessibility standards, have accessibility statements and for the most part
are fully accessible and easy to navigate. This means that if an
organisation, in this case the canadian government, makes a decision to make
their websites accessible it is apparently possible and can be achieved with
consistancy and a high degree of success.
Apple started the entire out of the box accessibility experience just 8
years ago and I think some pretty good advancements have been made simply
because pretty much all of the other big players (Amazon, Facebook, Google
and Microsoft) have followed Apple's example and have started accessibility
departments where a team of people specifically works on the issue. I am not
surprised that sometimes there is a stumble or even a step back since all of
these large organisations consist of many departments, there is often great
rivalry between teams and sometimes outright pissing contests to see who can
push through their agenda and a relatively small team like accessibility I
am sure is still considered relatively unimportant by other teams. But I
believe that now that this door has been opened it can't be closed any more
and in time accessibility will continue to improve, technology will develop
to consider accessibility from the ground up so that whatever work that is
required wil simply be part of the development. One reason why I am pretty
sure this is happening is the fact that many in leading positions with these
companies are people who themselves may benefit from this accessibility as
they get older, things like visual impairments as the population gets older
and older will be more common and there will simply be a greater need for
accessibility and those who need it will be people who grew up with
technology unlike people like my parents who are now in their mid 70's and
early 80's and who did not have this technology until they were in their
late 50's at best. I taught my Mom how to use a computer when she was almost
60 and bought her an iPad when she was almost 70, because of this she had no
problem buying and using an iPhone last year. My Dad, however, is almost 8
years older and he was never interested when my Mom first got her computer
and now at 82 he has no interest and little understanding and he's barely
capable of tapping the large button on my Mom's iPhone 6S Plus when a phone
call comes in.
Now take people like Tim Cook or Zuckerberg, the former is now 56,
Zuckerberg is not even 43, but you can bet that if they ever can't see well
enough any more to use technology when they are 80 will want to have the
accessibility in place to do so. In Cook's case this is 20 years away but of
course several of these important people may also simply be exposed to the
issue because family or friends close to them may have disabilities and I
really think that accessibility at this point is considered to be important
by most of them.
Lastly, consider how relatively little advancemens were made in the 20 years
between say the late 80's and 2008/2009 and how much of a leap forward
accessibility has taken in the last 7 or 8 years. I guaranty anybody that in
another 10 years when we get close to reaching the next 20 year mark we all
look back and shake our heads. Maybe we won't quite jump into our own
self-driving electric cars in 10 years to drive to work, but we might be
darn close. We have incredibly powerful processing capabilities, we have
huge and inexpensive storage and we have fast and reliable wireless
connections which are only getting faster. All of this is maturing
technology which will make it possible for accessibility to be more deeply
integrated.

Regards,
Sieghard