Saving a Worksheet in Excel 2016 to your Computer using JAWS

Rick Miller

Dear Listers:

Recently at work, my employer got me a new computer after my old one crashed.  Every month, I prepare a log of the phone calls I get using an Excel spreadsheet.  In earlier versions of Excel, saving a worksheet to my computer after it has been created was real easy—just go to the Save As dialog, hit the Enter key, enter the name of the worksheet when the Save As dialog popped up, browse to where you want to store it, and hit the Enter key.  But I see now that in Excel 2016 there are some additional steps.  Right after I go to the Files Menu, arrow down to Save As and hit the Enter key, instead of the “Save as,” dialog popping up right away, JAWS is saying, “Saving Features.  When I tab, there is an option for One-Drive, but I see no option to save to my computer.  My technician at work came up this morning, and we tried to download a blank spreadsheet to my computer using JAWS, but we couldn’t figure out how to do it.  He watched me as I used JAWS, but noticed that the option to save to your computer was on the left side of the screen while JAWS was only reading the right side.  When he told me I would have to scroll down I tried just arrowing down but it didn’t work.  So now I am turning to you for help.  Have any of you saved a document to your computer using Excel 2016?  If so, can you tell me how it’s done and outline for me the steps you went through right after you created your spreadsheet?

Rick Miller