Re: JAWS 18 and Calculator

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Bill,

Instead of pressing C repeatedly, just press the Windows Key and immediately start typing the word Calculator. I doubt you have to type past the first 3 or so letters for it to come up. For me the first thing that comes up after "c" is Google Chrome, but as soon as I type the "a" calculator has focus and I can press enter to start the app.
Also, many keyboards have calculator shortcut keys. I'm using a Logitech MK710 and it has a calculator key on the very right at the same height as the Function keys. After the Print Screen, Scroll lock and Pause keys there is a gap and then a lone key off to the right and it brings up the calculator.

Regards,
Sieghard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 12:04 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 18 and Calculator

I have to press the C key a couple of times to get the Calculator. First comes Control Panel.
Bill White
Billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: JAWS 18 and Calculator

I have JAWS 18, latest update. I also have Windows 10 and just press the Windows Key and then C - VOILA, up comes calculator. I use the qwerty numbers and symbols - works like a charm, only way to go to figure my Visa figures.
They're not on my spread sheet right now.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marquette, Ed
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2017 1:08 PM
Subject: JAWS 18 and Calculator

I saw a number of posts on this list earlier about the calculator. Indeed, in Windows 10, it is hidden. With a little sighted assistance, however, we found it and pinned it to the task bar, which was a good solution.

And, a huge thanks to the discussion about using the Windows Key and numbers keys to jump to applications. I had forgotten about those commands entirely. Now, I use them all the time. They are fantastic!

Well, I installed JAWS 18 yesterday. ALAS! The calculator that worked so well in JAWS 17 appears to be completely broken in JAWS 18 or, if not broken, is implemented so badly as to be useless.

It is so good to be able to keep old versions of JAWS around so that when Freedom Scientific screws up, as they did with calculator, one can go back to a prior version. The calculator works great in JAWS 17. It seems unusable in JAWS 18.

I. Edward Marquette

Direct Dial: 816.502.4646

Mobile: 816.812.0088

Google Voice: 408.692.5640

Facsimile: 816.960.0041

Kutak Rock LLP

2300 Main Street, Suite 800

Kansas City, MO 64108

ed.marquette@kutakrock.com
<mailto:ed.marquette@kutakrock.com>

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.