Re: Jaws script for switching between applications

Peter Holdstock <ptrholdstock@...>

Hi. Regarding the windows key and number solution. Are the applications that you're wanting to use pinned to the taskbar? If not, could the reliability problem you're having with that solution be because if you haven't already opened the applications after logging onto windows, they won't already be in the taskbar and therefore won't have a number assigned to them and if you then open them in a different order each time, they would have a different number assigned to them as Windows numbers them according to the order they are pinned to the taskbar and then for any unpinned applications, the order that they are opened. Have you tried unpinning everything from the taskbar, then pinning each application back to the taskbar in the order that you'd like to use them. Then the shortcut numbers assigned to these applications should hopefully remain consistent.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Apr 2017, at 01:48, Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I am typically running several application: IE, CMD, Cygwin and Visual
Studio. I am looking for a keyboard shortcut to switch to a particular
application.

For example, I would like to have a keyboard shortcut that would
switch me to a cygwin window. I don't want to press Alt-TAB multiple
times and look for the right window in the list of running
applications. I am using braille display, and alt-tabbing takes too
long time. I switch applications often, and I am looking for more
effective way to switch between applications.

For example, I would love to have a script that would sweitch me to
the cygwin window no matter what application is currently active and
no matter how long ago I used cygwin the last time. Then I would love
to assign a keyboard shortcut to this script, something like
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C, for example. And I would have a peace of mind,
knowing that wherever I am, I can always switch to cygwin in just a
single keystroke.

Windows key + numbers. This is what I'm currently using. For example I
have Windows key + 2 switches me to IE. The problem with it is that it
is frustratingly unreliable. They only work about 80% of the times,
and for the remaining 20% they set the focus to the task bar.
Sometimes the success rate goes down even lower than 50%, at which
point I have to reboot my computer. I've had this problem on two
computers, one of which had a brand new windows. By the way, does
anyone else experience the unreliability of this shortcut, or only me?

Alt-tab is NOT what I'm looking for, since it switches to the last
used application. I would like to have one shourtcut for IE, another
for MCD and so on, so that whenever I want to switch to IE I would
press that shourtcut just once. Pressing Alt-tab multiple times
surely can switch me to any running app, but this way is too slow, I
am looking for a more efficient solution.

Insert+f10 is NOT what I'm looking for. The reason is the same as for
alt-tab: it requires finding the right app in the list.

Ctrl+Alt+Letter is NOT what I'm looking for. You can assign this type
of shortcuts in the properties of applications on the desktop. But
that would start a new application instead of switching to an existing
one.

So:
1. Is there a way to make windows key + number keyboard shortcut
more reliable?
Or:
2. Is there a way to assign keyboard shortcuts to specific apps?
Maybe a jaws script or something?

And again, I would like to reiterate what I need. I whish I could
switch to cygwin with Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C, and switch to internet
explorer with Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I, and so on.

I am not afraid of hacking, so if there is either a jaws script, or
any other hacky script, that can switch me to a particular application
and that can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut, please let me know.

I'm using the latest Windows 10 and Jaws 17.

Thanks
Tony