Re: Accidentally deleted Jaws18, now install stopps...it says that it is already installed?

Peter Tesar

Thanks for the repair tip.
I knew about that run command but I thought you had to have Jaws running.
Sometimes you need someone else to set you straight.

So far my Windows 10 seems to be ok. Probably some minor adjustments will need to be made.

Peter T.

On 4/8/2017 5:21 PM, Gerry Ellis wrote:
Hi,

If you have the downloaded instalation file or the JAWS CD you can do a repair. For instance, if the download file was called J18.0.exe and it was in your c:\ folder, then type
"c:\temp\j18.0.exe" /type repair

Note putting the folder in quotes. This is only necessary if the folder name includes spaces,b but it is no harm doing it wherever the instalation file is.

If you have the CD, I presume you would point to the install.exe or setup .exe (whatever is on the CD's root directory).

Take care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don’t know where you’re going,
How will you know when you get there?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, April 8, 2017 10:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accidentally deleted Jaws18, now install stopps...it says that it is already installed?

If you have a backup of your data or can make one I think it would be much easier and less potential issues down the road to reinstall Windows.
Maybe if the Program Files folder is still in the recycle bin you could restore it and be OK, otherwise I think you'll run into problems.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Tesar
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2017 1:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accidentally deleted Jaws18, now install stopps...it says that it is already installed?

Hi,

Yes I did delete the entire "program files" folder. I forgot about the recycle bin.

On this desktop, I have Win10 working. Also NVDA and Narrator allows me to navigate. I also have FireFox and Thunderbird and most of the other apps are in the "program files (x86)" folder.

I cannot do a repair on Jaws if there is no Jaws installed. Unless you can do it with the Jaws 18 downloaded file or DVD.

The question is there a hidden folder with the Jaws 18 setup files that the wizard said was being copied to the hard drive. After the copy progress clicks finish, I'm told that the program is already installed.
I cannot force it to continue the installation.

The "add remove programs" list has Jaws 18 on it, but it is not responsive. It cannot find the program to do the uninstall.

There may be a hidden file folder with a program that would allow a forced install.

My laptop has Win 10 and Jaws 18. Can I just copy the "Freedom Scientific" folder from the laptop to the desktop?

Maybe I can install Jaws 16 or 17.

I'm waiting for the Win 10 version 17 to give me the ability to run it on a USB penn drive with Narrator.

Peter T.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.