Re: Getting laptop to recognize headset with traditional jack instead of USB

Jonas Voll

Audio jack like on some laptops are a 3 ring type headset!

If you need more help email me off list!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:39 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Getting laptop to recognize headset with traditional jack instead of USB

Hello list,

So, I got this laptop that has fewer USB ports than my old one. Thus, my having to optimize my USB usage. It does have a single jack for headphones and mic. I figured it would just be a case of plugging the headset jack and having audio go through the headphones. Of course, nothing can be so easy…

I’m not getting any sound. Jaws or otherwise. My sighted wife says that when it is plugged in, the volume indicator does switch reflecting something also, the microphone indicator does fluctuate when I speak.

It’s been many years since I’ve used a headset with a jack and in this case, it’s only one jack instead of the regular two jacks (One for headset and the other for microphone).

Am I in fact missing a step to enable audio?  Tried this both on a Dell laptop that I initially bought and which I’m returning due to an unrelated issue and an HP Envy X360 Touch screen machine that I’m still setting up.

Any help would be appreciated.

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com 
and 
logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 
'spam@...'

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.