Re: Help with menus in Win 10

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 07:58 am, Soronel Haetir wrote:
My biggest complaint about ribbons is that they don't provide an easy
way to discover how many options are available.

I'm not discounting what you're saying, as that is very annoying.  The fact is, however, that ribbons have been the primary interface for over 10 years now and it's clear that they're not going away.

I absolutely hated (and still do) the JAWS virtual ribbon because it essentially allows the user to avoid learning how to use the real ribbon.  I have the same problem with Classic Shell and similar.

We are now over a decade into the era where ribbons are the access method in Windows.  Setting up your (for any you, not you specifically) machine such that "the real way of accessing things" is masked is anyone's right, but it can have real world consequences if you have to operate on computers elsewhere.  I've seen too many "deer in the headlights" episodes where someone who's highly customized their environments with what are now non-standard access methods meant to replicate long defunct ones be utterly unable to function when placed in front of another machine, even with their preferred screen reader, elsewhere.   If you know that will never apply to you then have at whatever you might like to do.   If you know that you'll likely be asked to use other computers that you don't have the ability to customize at will then you're better off to learn how to navigate things as they appear "out of the box."
--
Brian

         A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

                  ~ William James