Re: High CPU usage after installing SSD

jeff armstrong <jeffarmstrong1380@...>

Could the install of the drive have required some monitoring software installs, mine required Acronis and I see at least three apps that have this name running in background.  I am not familiar enough with Windows 10 yet to be good at checking usage but I, Too, noticed a performance hit after I installed the SSD to replace a HDD.

Jeff Armstrong

NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.

Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:56 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: High CPU usage after installing SSD

Actually, I consider a quarter second unacceptable.  That is why I am considering upgrading my new Windows 10 machine to Windows 7.  I have a fast quad core Xeon processor, 32gb ram and a 1tb M.2 SSD that is supposed to be at least 4 times the speed of a top of the line SATA SSD.  I don’t know if it is Windows 10 or Jaws 18, but this machine is less responsive than my old Windows 7 machine with a dual core I3, normal SSD and only 8gb ram.  Once a program is running it is noticeably faster than my old machine and it flys while running multiple programs, which leads me to believe it is not a hardware problem.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:00 PM

A brandnew SSD should be fine although of course any new product can be a lemon and be defective out of the box which is what warranties are for.

Some large programs still may take a bit to open, SSD’s are great but it’s not like everything will pop up ready to go in half a second.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of HH. Smith Jr.
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:55 AM

Hi again,

If bad sectors exist, replace the drive. Bad sectors on a hard drive grows like weeds.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of HH. Smith Jr.
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:50 PM

Hi,

If all connections are correct according to specifications, then I would recommend downloading from the manufacturer of the Hard drive and run a health test or run a check disk and see if bad sectors exist. Bad sectors will slow down your access time on a hard drive.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:32 PM
Subject: High CPU usage after installing SSD

Hello list,

So over the weekend, I swapped out my old hard drive with an SSD. I’m up and running and am coming across high CPU usage and can’t figure out why. It’s a clean install of Windows 7, 8 GB of ram and iCore 3 2.2 GHZ processor. The PC and Jaws feels sluggish at times too. The machine boots fast as would be expected, but launching of programs still takes a bit. At least more than what one would anticipate with an SSD. Standard programs like Office 2016, Malwarebytes/Essentials and Jaws 18. No files as of yet. The drive is more or less empty.

Jaws is stuttering too. The stuttering thing I had way back when and was able to fix it at that time, but for the life of me, can’t recall how I got rid of it.

Anyway, I’m going to check later for any firmware updates for the SSD (Crucial) in case that may help, but generally, I was curious if there was anything else I may have overlooked or can adjust to bring down the CPU usage. I’m talking anywhere from a consistent 78 to 98%.

Any input would be appreciated.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.