Re: High CPU usage after installing SSD

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

And check the manufacturer’s warranty; there’s no excuse for that on a brand new device, solid-state or otherwise.  Hope it’s something else.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of HH. Smith Jr.
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:55 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: High CPU usage after installing SSD

Hi again,

If bad sectors exist, replace the drive. Bad sectors on a hard drive grows like weeds.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of HH. Smith Jr.
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: High CPU usage after installing SSD

Hi,

If all connections are correct according to specifications, then I would recommend downloading from the manufacturer of the Hard drive and run a health test or run a check disk and see if bad sectors exist. Bad sectors will slow down your access time on a hard drive.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:32 PM
Subject: High CPU usage after installing SSD

Hello list,

So over the weekend, I swapped out my old hard drive with an SSD. I’m up and running and am coming across high CPU usage and can’t figure out why. It’s a clean install of Windows 7, 8 GB of ram and iCore 3 2.2 GHZ processor. The PC and Jaws feels sluggish at times too. The machine boots fast as would be expected, but launching of programs still takes a bit. At least more than what one would anticipate with an SSD. Standard programs like Office 2016, Malwarebytes/Essentials and Jaws 18. No files as of yet. The drive is more or less empty.

Jaws is stuttering too. The stuttering thing I had way back when and was able to fix it at that time, but for the life of me, can’t recall how I got rid of it.

Anyway, I’m going to check later for any firmware updates for the SSD (Crucial) in case that may help, but generally, I was curious if there was anything else I may have overlooked or can adjust to bring down the CPU usage. I’m talking anywhere from a consistent 78 to 98%.

Any input would be appreciated.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.