Re: Latest JAWS 18 -"There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear."

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Tim,

As opposed to you I really like Windows 10, a few things I prefer in Windows 7, but I found work-arounds with Windows 10 and otherwise I just find it to be a much more stabile and faster OS.

I am still running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit on 5 desktops at my retail store and I tried a few of the things you guys reported caused sluggishness. For example, in your post you had an email you wrote to support describing how pressing Jaws Key + F7 or F5 to bring up a list of links or form fields caused Jaws to go silent for 10 to 15 seconds. Dennis said invoking the dictionary manager did the same, I think he actually said 30 seconds. I am not experiencing any of these issues with Jaws 18 and don't recall having them with Jaws 17. I use the internet a lot and especially use the Jaws Key + F7 all the time so I wold have noticed. While the dictionary manager takes maybe 3 seconds to load on a website or in Outlook, I just went to Amazon.ca and pressed Insert+F7 and it brought up a list of 189 links instantly, I mean the list was literally up pretty much by the time I released the key combination. I wonder what is causing this for some of you, granted my computers are all reasonably new, the one I am using right now is an intel NUC mini PC with an I5 processor and 12 Gb of RAM, but for the most part I have no issues with sluggishness except that sometimes when I first open Outlook it may take 8 or 10 seconds and at times I have noticed that I may be working in Exel or another application and Jaws suddenly goes silent for a few seconds and then I hear an email alert so it's almost as if the process of Outlook fetching emails causes Jaws to lock up for 4 or 5 seconds.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:32 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Latest JAWS 18 -"There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear."

I fought a long time about switching to Windows 10.  I was finally forced to recently, having to retire that Windows 7 32 bit laptop that had become so slow.  It was the cheapest for me to buy a popular new laptop running Windows 10, as contrasted with a special order laptop running the older Windows 7 operating system.  In general, I do not like Windows 10, but as I learn more about it, I feel better, and assume I will be at the same point where I got over my love of XP and was comfortable with Windows 7. 

Tim

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Carlson
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: Latest JAWS 18 -"There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear."

Tim,

Yep. Exactly what I have been experiencing with JAWS 17 and 18. Very irritating, especially that FS fails to acknowledge it as being a problem. Oh, yes of course it's nice that it plays well wit Windows 10, but I don't have Windows 10 and unless I'm mistaken, JAWS 18 will still support Windows 7. So they have done something to JAWS 17 and onward that they cannot admit or acknowledge, and we continue to suffer or use JAWS 16 to have some practical responsive screen reading.

Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 14:46

Hi Folks,

I got curious on when I first reported this sluggishness issue to Freedom Scientific; it was back in June, see below.  The FS suggestion was to do a JAWS repair.  I did that several times, uninstalling, reinstalling, everything I could think of.  When I would first use JAWS after the repair/install, things would work fine for a day or so, then the sluggishness would start to come back, and get steadily worse as time went on.  Since then, I have moved on to a Windows 10 64 bit machine, and running JAWS 17, so far I have not had the problem return except for perhaps an occasional minor short delay.

So for anyone who is interested, here is what I wrote back in June of last year.

Tim Ford

Sent: Monday, June 20, 2016 6:15 PM
To: VFO Technical Support <support@...>
Subject: JAWS 17, "unknown script called", sluggish browser action.

Dear Support,

I have JAWS 17, latest build, serial #18178, running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, with 6 GB of RAM.

Starting about 3 updates ago under JAWS 17, I began to experience very slow and sluggish response when in IE or Firefox, and after pressing either the insert f7, insert f5, or control f commands.  The text of the browser page goes silent for perhaps 10-15 seconds.  if I try the command again before it fully executes, JAWS says “unknown script called for ...” the ... filled in with the name of the command I had just entered, e.g. links list, find command 

Everything else on my computer is working fine.  So far, I have tried a complete uninstall of JAWS and a reinstall, but the sluggish action continues.  It happens on every web site, even those with only a very few links.  These are all web sites I have visited often, and all of them now suffer the same slow action as described above.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Timothy Ford

JAWS Serial #18178

s

Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:52 PM
Subject: RE: Latest JAWS 18 -"There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear."

Hi Folks,

This lag is something that seemed to have hit me ahead of most everyone else, but it has now apparently spread.  It became so bad on my old Windows 7 laptop that I uninstalled 17 and 18 and went back to 16.  On my new Windows 10 64 bit laptop, running JAWS 17, the lag has been much less pronounced and short in duration.  Back when the problem first hit me months ago, I felt that I must be losing it since nobody else seemed to be having what I knew would be very noticeable.  So now it seems that the problem eventually hits everybody.  Has Freedom Scientific admitted yet that this problem exists?

Tim Ford

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Carlson
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:43 PM
To: main@...

Mitch,

Stephen says "Stop!" Saying "What's that sound?" And no, no particular issues with this latest build of JAWS 18. But...I have noticed with both JAWS 17 and 18, all iterations, that there is a significant hesitancy when invoking the JAWS find when in Internet Explorer or Firefox. A latency of almost 30 seconds at times. Very irritating, and until it gets back to normal, I use JAWS 16 99% of the time.

Also happens when going to the Systems Tray and even ResearchIt. It's almost like JAWS is having to clear out some background processing before it can respond to that command.

Dave
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 11:55

Subject: Latest JAWS 18 -"There's something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear."

Hi All, With apologies to Stephen  Stills, it seems that with the latest JAWS 18 and Windows 7, I am experiencing frequent freezing when I change focus between applications.

I’m wondering if others have noticed this and I am also looking for tips to do some more trouble-shooting as I am without a clue as to what is actually happening.  I have to totally shut down and reboot to get back into operation and there must be a better way to resume my tasks.  Thanks for any ideas.  Mitch

Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #3:Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #3:

Q:  When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were
    able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to
    go, gone also, would he have brought you, meaning you and she, with
    him to the station?
MR. BROOKS:  Objection.  That question should be taken out and shot.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.