Re: My pictures overlap in Power point. any way out?

Maria Kristic

Hi,

I am having a little trouble understanding your issue, so I am going to write about a few things below that I thought you might have been asking about in the hope that some of it is useful. If anything on your end is different from mine, it is because I have Office 2016 and JAWS 18; hope you can figure out any differences. Also, sorry for the length of this. I wanted to explain some of my thought process of how I do this as a congenitally totally blind person (e.g., using visualization and some simple math), so that you can understand my sizing and positioning suggestions. Hope some of the below is useful:

Regarding two pictures on a slide overlapping each other, when I put two pictures on a slide, I like to use the "Two Content" slide layout for that slide. It lays out the pictures nicely side by side below the title. To change layout of an existing slide, use F6 or SHIFT+F6 until you get to the thumbnails view, UP/DOWN ARROW until you reach the desired slide, activate the Context Menu with the APPLICATIONS key, UP/DOWN ARROW to the Layout submenu and move in to the Layout submenu with RIGHT ARROW, then use all four arrow keys to navigate the layout choices until you reach "Two Content", and press ENTER to change it. Then, pressing F6 to get back to the slide area, if you TAB around, you will see one title and two object placeholders, and you can TAB to the first object placeholder after the title (the left-hand object), insert the first picture, TAB to the second object (the right one), and insert the second picture. If creating a new slide from the New command of the Home ribbon, you can press ALT+DOWN ARROW to activate the New split button, and you will land in the Layout options grid mentioned above from which you can pick the choice you want. You can resize the two photos if you want (see below).

Regarding having a picture cover your title/sub-title, so that the title/sub-title are not visible, you want to bring the picture out of the background and to the front. To do that, activate the Context Menu when focused on the object containing the picture, DOWN ARROW to the Bring to Front split button, hit SPACE to activate it, and press ENTER on the Bring to Front option. I have noticed that sometimes, if a picture is in front, JAWS will keep repeating the word "picture" when focused on it; you have to switch focus from the picture, such as by activating the Context Menu on it or by TABBING away from it, to get it to stop.

Regarding sizing and positioning the picture how you want on the title/sub-title slide, (e.g., in center or top right corner as you indicate): To do this, the easiest way I have found is to use the JAWS Object Dimension information (accessed with CTRL+SHIFT+D) along with the options to Size and Position the photo found in PowerPoint. Here is an example:

First, using the JAWS Object Dimension to figure out what you want your photo position to be: When you press CTRL+SHIFT+D, the information is displayed in the virtual viewer, so you can read it with standard reading commands, and press ESC to close the Virtual Viewer when done. So for example, first, know that the whole slide is about 13.2 inches (33.53 cm) wide by 7.4 inches (18.8 cm) high. I figured this out by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+D on the title object of the slide. I was told that the title of this slide is 1.6 inches from the left edge, 10 inches wide, and 1.6 inches from the right edge. (I was also told these distances in point values; note that you may encounter a current bug in the inch calculation where if an object dimension is 10 or more inches, JAWS will report it with the decimal point one point further to the left than it should be, so in the case of the title slide, it said 1.00 inches wide instead of 10.0, but the point values are always presented accurately) Anyway, 1.6+10+1.6=the slide is 13.2 inches wide. Similarly, for the height of the slide, using the CTRL+SHIFT+D info gotten from the title placeholder, 1.2 inches from the top edge+2.6 inches high title placeholder+3.6 inches from the bottom edge=the slide is 7.4 inches high. So now, you want to check how large your picture is and where it is located on the slide (again, when focused on the picture, use CTRL+SHIFT+D and see what JAWS tells you about how wide and high the object is). My example picture is initially 6.2 inches wide and 6.2 inches high, and it is located 3.5 inches from the left edge, 3.5 inches from the right edge, 0.63 inches from the top edge, and 0.63 inches from the bottom edge; that is, it is centered on the slide, but, based on visualizing in my mind the location of objects based on what CTRL+SHIFT+D tells me, I can tell that the title and sub-title are located within the area occupied by the picture.

So now, I need to re-size and re-position the picture, so that it doesn't cover the title and sub-title content. I could also re-size and re-position the title and sub-title in the same way as explained in the next paragraph to make this work, but I am just going to leave the sizes of those two objects be in this example and focus on the picture. First, I need to figure out what the new picture size should be. Based on the CTRL+SHIFT+D info about the title placeholder, it is 1.2 inches from the top edge+2.6 inches high title placeholder=the bottom edge of the title placeholder is 3.8 inches from the top edge of the slide; the sub-title starts at 3.9 inches from the top slide edge as per JAWS info, meaning there is a 0.1 inch space between the title and sub-title, and then 3.9 inches from the top+1.8 inch high sub-title placeholder = bottom edge of sub-title is 5.7 inches from the top edge of the slide. So now, let's say we want another 0.1 inch space between the sub-title and the top edge of the photo; that means, the photo has to start 5.8 inches from the top edge of the slide. Let's say I want a 0.2 inch space between the bottom edge of the picture and the bottom slide boundary, and remember the slide is 7.4 inches high, so that means the bottom edge of my picture must be 7.2 inches from the top boundary; so 7.2-5.8=the picture should be 1.4 inches high. Since this picture is square, it also means that it will be 1.4 inches wide, but PowerPoint will adjust the other dimension appropriately once I change one dimension value. If I want the picture centered relative to the left and right slide edges, with the picture being 1.4 inches wide and the slide being 13.2 inches wide, I solve the equation 1.4+2x=13.2 for x, meaning x=5.9; so, my picture has to be 5.9 inches from the left slide edge and 5.9 inches from the right slide edge.

Thus, to re-size and re-position: Focus on the object you want to re-size--in this case, I TAB to the picture object. I use the APPLICATIONS key when on the picture, choose the "Size and Position" option from the Context menu, and, while focused on the picture, use F6 or SHIFT+F6 until I reach the pane that has appeared. I sometimes have to try the routine twice of focusing on the picture and F6 or SHIFT+F6 until I reach the pane to get it to work. I know I have reached the pane when I hear the first item of it, which is a grid that will be focused on the "Size and Properties" choice. If you should land somewhere else in the pane, the "Sizing and Properties" item focuses on size, position, text box, and alt text associated with the image; other options of the grid containing the "Size and Properties" option are things like Fill and Effects. TAB once from the grid containing the "Size and Properties" item, and I reach the "Size" button, which is checked, meaning I will see sizing options as I TAB through. TAB once, land on Height, change from 6.24" to 1.4", and then as I continue to TABB, I see that the width and scale values have automatically been adjusted as necessary. Keep TABBING until I reach the Position button, which is unchecked, so I press SPACE to check it and reveal Position options. Position options are set by default to be values relative to the top left corner, and I like to keep it that way because then, my vertical position should match the top edge info presented by CTRL+SHIFT+D, and my horizontal position should match the left edge information presented by the same. So TAB past the checked Position button to reach the Horizontal Position box. I type 5.9" as per the prior paragraph. TAB once to the "From" combo box, and leave at "Top Left Corner" as I explained above. TAB to the Vertical Position combo box, and change it to 5.8". TAB again to the "From" combo box associated with the Vertical Position, and leave it at "Top Left Corner". Sometimes, when I change the position value and TAB, JAWS focuses me on the picture, and I have to use F6 or SHIFT+F6 to get back to the Properties pane. Once I have set the new position, I F6 back to the slide area, TAB to the picture, and go back in to the Context Menu and choose the "Size and Position" option to close the pane, as I have now finished sizing and positioning the photo.

If you want the picture in the prior example to be in the top right corner next to the title and sub-title, here's an example of how you could re-position the picture. Say you want the picture to be 0.2 inches from the top slide edge and 0.2 inches from the right slide edge. I am using the same slide as described above and the same picture that is now 1.4 by 1.4 inches. Re-position it as described above, so that Horizontal Position is set to 11.6 inches and Vertical Position is set to 0.2 inches.

Another possible way to have the picture be in the center of the slide is to re-size/re-position all three of the title, sub-title, and picture objects. For instance, using same slide as before, you could, say, move the title to be 0.5 inches from the top edge instead of the current 1.2 inches; resize the title to be 2 inches high instead of the current 2.6 inches; have the sub-title be 2.6 inches from the top rather than the current 3.9 inches; have the sub-title be 1 inch high instead of the current 1.8 inches; have the picture be positioned 3.7 inches from the top slide edge and 5.0 inches from the left slide edge; and have the picture be 3.2 inches high by 3.2 inches wide. You might then want to decrease the font of your title and sub-title to make them look better with the smaller size.

I usually have a sighted person check how my image manipulation looks because sometimes, images have weird things in them like white space which JAWS cannot tell me about, and so even though according to computer calculations the image placement may be great, it might still look odd visually because of something like that. I once had a photo with a lot of white space; I basically had to move the picture so much that JAWS did report that it was overlapping other objects, but it looked OK visually because the overlap occurred in the white space of the picture.

Finally, if you just want a slide to contain a picture and nothing else, choose a Blank slide layout as described near the beginning of this message, and insert the photo onto the slide. It will be centered on the slide by default as per CTRL+SHIFT+D info. Re-size and re-position as necessary.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Maria