From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rahul Bajaj
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 12:12 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Problems Faced While Using Word 2016

Dear Maria,

Thank you so much for your detailed and informative response.
Actually, I am not using a genuine version of Office 2016 since the same is exorbitantly priced in India. So I cannot upgrade to the latest version.
While I continue to face issues 1 to 3, I have tried using your strategy to deal with issue 4.
However, after I press alt-r-n on the comment concerned, JAWS says 'comment pane' followed by 'blank'. It doesn't allow me to engage with the text in that comment. I am not sure what can be done about this.

I have JAWS 16 and Windows 8. I cannot install the latest version of JAWS since my dongle is only for JAWS 16.
Any ideas as to what I could do?

Best,
Rahul

On 24/02/2017, Maria Kristic <maria.kristic@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rahul,

With the latest JAWS 18 build (build 18.0.2530), latest updates to
Office 365, and Windows 10 installed, I was unable to reproduce issues
1-3, and I believe you are experiencing issue 4 because of the changes
made in Word
2016 as to how comments are displayed--see notes below. Since you said
you just installed Office 2016, I wonder if the installers are always
updated to reflect the latest updates, so I would suggest checking for
updates in Windows, installing any updates available for Office, and
then trying again.

I tested your issues on a large Word file I created by copying/pasting
several files to create a 2,880-page document. Here's what happened,
using the desktop version of Word 2016:

1. It did take my seven-year-old computer about 20 seconds, but when I
accessed the Word Count option from the Review tab of the ribbon, the
dialog did eventually come up, and I was able to access it (e.g.,
2,880 pages,
1,368,661 words, etc.)
2. I went to page 585 and used CTRL+DOWN ARROW to move continuously
through paragraphs until I got to page 591, and then used CTRL+UP
ARROW to move in reverse, and the cursor moved by paragraphs as expected.
3. I performed a Say All at page 585 and let it go to page 594...The
pages read straight through as expected.
4. As this also does not work with another screen reader I tried, I
believe, as I said above, that this is due to Word 2016 changes.
Comments are now displayed in a separate Comments pane which appears
when necessary. That is, when I select the option to create a new
comment from the Review tab for example, the pane appears with an edit
area in focus, I write and navigate the comment as I would in a
typical edit field, and I press ESC when done to save the comment and
return to the document. In order to make the pane visible again and
thus be able to edit/delete comments, the most efficient way I have
found is to use JAWS' Comments List feature together with Review
ribbon Comments group shortcuts. I use the JAWS feature
(CTRL+SHIFT+APOSTROPHE) or cursor movement to navigate to where the
comment I want to manipulate is located. Then, I press ALT+R, N to
activate the Next Comment button on the Review tab, which causes the
Comments pane to appear with the comment I want to manipulate in
focus. I can change what is written in the edit field. ALT+R, V
activates the Previous Comment button of the Review tab and presents
the previous comment in an edit field in the Comments pane; ALT+R, N
activates the Next one; ALT+R, D activates the Delete split button
from which I can choose to delete the comment in focus or all comments
in the document; ESC closes the pane and returns me to the document.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Maria