From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 12:49 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Major computer issue after updating Jaws

Hello list,

So I downloaded and updated the new jaws 18 release that was made available
today.

I first ran the update on my personal Win 7 Pro Dell laptop and everything
went as usual. Did the reboot and all was good. I’m writing this email on
that machine.

I waited for the business day to be over before doing the same on my Dell
Win 10 pro business desktop. Again, ran the downloaded installer, went
through the process and clicked on the ok button when I was prompted to
reboot.

However, on the desktop, I am not able to get to the actual desktop. Indeed,
there is absolutely no sound coming from my machine. The only way I know
what’s going on is with my sighted wife’s help. I get to the screen with
three buttons for connect to the Internet, ease of access and the power down
button. The connect to the Internet button is crossed out as if it hasn’t
completed loading. The ease of access button is active, but even if I try to
start narrator, there is still no sound. My wife says that it looks like
Narrator turns on, but with no sound, there’s nothing I can do. That and
since the desktop doesn’t come up, I still can’t get anywhere. The only
thing we’re able to do is access the power button to either restart or shut
down the computer.

We’ve tried restarting and pressing the f12 button when that prompt comes up
briefly, but then I get a screen with options of a legacy boot and other
diagnostics options that I’m not familiar with.

As far as the sound goes, I’ve made sure and checked with both my USB
powered headphones and regular desktop speakers. There aren’t even any
system sounds.

Don’t know if even calling FS would be of any help since again, there’s
no audible feedback what so ever. Can’t even try a system restore since I
can’t get to the desktop where everything’s fully loaded. NVDA doesn’t
come up either.

Any ideas?

I’m really at a loss.

Cristobal