Re: Problems Faced While Using Word 2016

Maria Kristic

Hi Rahul,

With the latest JAWS 18 build (build 18.0.2530), latest updates to Office
365, and Windows 10 installed, I was unable to reproduce issues 1-3, and I
believe you are experiencing issue 4 because of the changes made in Word
2016 as to how comments are displayed--see notes below. Since you said you
just installed Office 2016, I wonder if the installers are always updated to
reflect the latest updates, so I would suggest checking for updates in
Windows, installing any updates available for Office, and then trying again.

I tested your issues on a large Word file I created by copying/pasting
several files to create a 2,880-page document. Here's what happened, using
the desktop version of Word 2016:

1. It did take my seven-year-old computer about 20 seconds, but when I
accessed the Word Count option from the Review tab of the ribbon, the dialog
did eventually come up, and I was able to access it (e.g., 2,880 pages,
1,368,661 words, etc.)
2. I went to page 585 and used CTRL+DOWN ARROW to move continuously through
paragraphs until I got to page 591, and then used CTRL+UP ARROW to move in
reverse, and the cursor moved by paragraphs as expected.
3. I performed a Say All at page 585 and let it go to page 594...The pages
read straight through as expected.
4. As this also does not work with another screen reader I tried, I believe,
as I said above, that this is due to Word 2016 changes. Comments are now
displayed in a separate Comments pane which appears when necessary. That is,
when I select the option to create a new comment from the Review tab for
example, the pane appears with an edit area in focus, I write and navigate
the comment as I would in a typical edit field, and I press ESC when done to
save the comment and return to the document. In order to make the pane
visible again and thus be able to edit/delete comments, the most efficient
way I have found is to use JAWS' Comments List feature together with Review
ribbon Comments group shortcuts. I use the JAWS feature
(CTRL+SHIFT+APOSTROPHE) or cursor movement to navigate to where the comment
I want to manipulate is located. Then, I press ALT+R, N to activate the Next
Comment button on the Review tab, which causes the Comments pane to appear
with the comment I want to manipulate in focus. I can change what is written
in the edit field. ALT+R, V activates the Previous Comment button of the
Review tab and presents the previous comment in an edit field in the
Comments pane; ALT+R, N activates the Next one; ALT+R, D activates the
Delete split button from which I can choose to delete the comment in focus
or all comments in the document; ESC closes the pane and returns me to the
document.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Maria