I can't even get it to open in word pad. It just dings at me when i arrow around. My god, this should not be this complicated.
I've already spent close to 2 hours fighting with this.
What's your email

On 2/22/2017 4:51 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Jed,

Can you select all the text, copy it to the clipboard, & paste it into
a text file, or a new Word document? If the document isn't of some
private nature, send it to me off list, & I'll see if I can extract the
contents from it, & send it back to you.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Jed Barton <mailto:jed@jedbarton.com>
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:24 PM
*Subject:* Re: compatability mode

Something is major wrong ehre guys. I finaly got word to shut down.
Then i clicked on the file again, but i can see no text. Is there any
way to get around this? It's really annoying. I've already wasted 45
minutes on this. All i wanna do is read this document. Any ideas on
what to do? When i do control home, it just says top of file. It
almost sounds like something is blocking jfw from reading it. Any ideas?

On 2/22/2017 4:21 PM, Jed Barton wrote:
What i don't understand, why itkeeps hosing my computer. The document,
i only got it to work once.
When i tab or arrow throw it, it literally reads nothing.
How do i make it start reading?

On 2/22/2017 4:04 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Jed,

This will explain compatibility mode. Read all the way through.

*From:* Brian Lee <mailto:brianllee@charter.net>
Hello SusieQ,

Word 2010 uses Compatibility Mode to maintain compatibility with earlier
versions of Word.
If you get a document from a person that was created in an earlier
version
of Word or you open a document you created in an earlier version of
Word the
word "compatibility" appears in the title bar. JAWS reads the title
bar of
a document when you open it and so you hear the fact that the document
was
created with an earlier version of Word but has been made compatible for
you. Documents created in Word 2010 are stored in an open XML format.
Documents created in Word 2003 or earlier were stored in a binary
format so
in order to open them in Word 2010 Microsoft uses the compatibility mode.
If a file has a .DOC extension it will open in compatibility mode. Even
documents with a .DOCX extension created in Word 2007 could open in
compatibility mode because some of the features of Word 2010 were not
supported in Word 2007 such as some text effects and OpenType typographic
features).

Headings in Word are styles. A style consists of such things as the
type of
font, font size, font color, character spacing, etc. A heading 1
style in
word 2010 uses a Cambria font size 14 and is a blue color. The
heading 2 is
the same except the font is one point smaller and is a 13-point Cambria
font. The normal style in Word uses a size 11 Calibri font with a black
foreground color.

If each chapter in your file starts with text in a heading 2 style
then you
can quickly move from chapter to chapter by browsing by heading. You can
list headings by using JAWS key with function key 6, using up or down
arrow
to the heading to jump to and pressing enter key. You could also
choose to
move between only heading 2 text by going into navigation quick keys
using
JAWS key with Z and then pressing the number 2 to move to next heading or
shift with 2 to move to previous heading 2 in your document. When
using the
navigation quick keys you are working in a read-only mode so you will
need
to use JAWS key with Z to return to editing mode. You can also use
function
key 6 in Word 2010 and move to the Search pane. Use the "browse by
heading"
tab of the pane and use tab key to the list of headings to browse.
However,
you will likely find it easier to use the JAWS navigation quick keys
or by
listing headings with JAWS key and f6.

The "Part 1" text that you are hearing must be text at the top of your
document indicating that you are starting with the first part of a
document.
You likely have Part 2 and additional parts through the document. One
part
might have a few chapters in it.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianllee@charter.net <mailto:brianllee@charter.net>
<mailto:brianllee@charter.net>
********
*From:* Brian Lee <mailto:brianllee@charter.net>
Hi Susie q,

Don't confuse compatibility mode with protected view mode. Compatibility
mode just means that Word 2010 is letting you open a file from an earlier
version of Word. You can still edit the document and save it as usual.
JAWS just reads the title bar when opening the document and so you
hear that
it is being opened in compatibility mode. You don't have to save it
in the
new format. If all you are wanting to do is transfer the edited file to
your Stream then you might as well just leave it in the .DOC format.

On the other hand if there are features in Word 2010 that you want to use
that weren't available in the earlier versions of Word then you might
want
to use the newer format. The compatibility mode is not the same as the
protected mode and it is not a safety feature. If Word thinks a document
might be from an unsafe source then it will open in protected view,
which is
like a sandboxed area. Documents from programs using the Internet
zone are
examples of documents opened in protected view. You don't need to worry
about documents opened in compatibility mode so if all you are wanting
to do
is put them on the Stream you really don't need to use the newer format.