Re: Jaws 11 / Focus 40 BT

Richard Holloway

Thanks. I do find the contracted braille option there but that seems to be for just the display itself, not the keyboard input style. The display is showing contracted content. I noticed it was set to use a Pacmate display as the default and corrected it to a FOCUS display, but it didn't make any obvious changes to what is happening. Obviously the Pacmate display (when removed and used as a standalone) is just that-- a display. The FOCUS 40 BT is a Braille Keyboard and a Display.

Then again, the menu option only says "FOCUS", and I think all except the Bluetooth FOCUS display have no braille keyboard. Maybe the proper driver is simply missing? Hopefully I can get to them at FS on the phone soon. I think either a driver is missing or I must be overlooking some sort of keyboard preferences option somewhere...

I also have yet to get the keyboard working as a Bluetooth device. I can get it to show up as "paired", but something is wrong when I use it that way-- nothing happens except that the device does come on and the device name pops up in braille (and in the bluetooth list of the computer) so it is indeed coming on. It simply has to be plugged in via USB right now to be used.

Most of the problem is probably my lack of familiarity with all of this stuff. It is just all very different that what I'm familiar with. (I'm a Macintosh Graphics person. )

If I figure anything out I'll post it in case others are interested.

Thanks,

Richard

On Nov 3, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Ann Byrne wrote:

Under setting center, go to Braille, general, translation options. I suppose just tinker there, but it sounds like the right place.

Good luck!

Hi Richard,

I don't know the answer to your question, but Freedom Scientific
might. You may want to give them a call.

1-727-803-8600.

Kim

On 11/2/11, Richard Holloway <rholloway@...> wrote:
My daughter has been using her FS Focus 40 BT in uncontracted braille mode
with Jaws 11 for quite a while, but she had use one before in contracted
mode. I believe she said it always displays contracted but she has to type
uncontracted. I actually didn't realize the keyboard was running
uncontracted as she flies along pretty quickly and it looks the same to
confused sighted parents like myself trying to keep track of our
braille-using kids.

Can someone tell me how to toggle between contracted and uncontracted (grade
2 / grade 1) please? I suspect it is a simple keystroke, but I'm not finding
the solution in the print manual, nor does my third grader see it in the
braille version. (She's actually often able to find things like this for
herself.)

Thanks so much for any help with this.

Kimberly