Re: Calculator in win 10

Douglas C. DeCamp

Just a note that Insert + Up arrow will read the result and Ctrl + c will copy the result for pasting in another applications.

• Hth ---

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gerry Ellis
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 4:44 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Calculator in win 10

HI,

I use Windows 10 Millennium edition and the latest version of JAWS.

I also find that the calculator does not read the result of a calculation. However, if I hit JawsKey and Tab or JawsKey  and 2 the result is read. If I hit the latter twice quickly it is read character by character. I find this sufficient.

It would be very useful if Alt-JawsKey-W would copy the result into the virtual buffer, but it does not.

Take care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don’t know where you’re going,

How will you know when you get there?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Marquette, Ed
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 7:51 AM

I gave up attempting to use the Windows 10 Calculator.  I just use my iPhone now.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 1:14 AM

Hi Alyssa,

JAWS cursor does not work in universal apps at all. It’s been like that since Windows 8 days when the first iteration of what we now call “universal apps” appeared.

The following may sound a bit geeky, but please bear with me, as I believe it is important to touch up on what VFO must do from now on (and I think this is a good opportunity to explain this):

The days of relying on screen scraping to obtain useful content from certain apps is coming to a close (or, for that matter, it is closed). One of the strengths of JAWS for Windows is its rich display intercept facility. This is advantageous in certain situations where precise tracking of cursor movement, locating changes to what’s on screen and what not are needed, at the cost of portability issues and possible incompatibilities. Recently, JAWS began supporting certain UI Automation (UIA) properties, events and other routines, similar to what Narrator does now (Narrator prefers UIA, and will not work well with MSAA-based controls).

In case of what Alyssa is experiencing, this is what exactly is going on from API side of things:

Windows 10 Calculator is a universal app, therefore UIA must be employed. Whenever expression changes, Calculator sends (or fires) a UIA property change event (in this case, it fires name change property event). I’m thinking JAWS (specifically, FSUIA) isn’t responding to this event anymore, because during normal business hours, it should (and partly explains why toasts are not read for some users).

So will repairing JAWS fix the problem? I think highly unlikely. Based on my own experiences with UIA and screen readers such as Narrator, the ultimate root of this problem could be an issue with UIA client implementation from St. Petersburg. This doesn’t mean that VFO should take all the blame – in some instances, Microsoft wrote incomplete (or sometimes incorrect) UIA implementations for some apps.

I do see that Dave wrote something, so try what he suggests and if it fixes this.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alyssa
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:53 PM

Restarting JAWS while the calculator is focused did not do anything. I just tried it.

I know restarting my computer did not help as that was attempted earlier.

I believe you are correct. The JAWS cursor cannot detect a thing in that window.

Narrator has no trouble with it though.

Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 1:46 AM

Hi,

What happens if you:

• Restart JAWS while Calculator is focused?
  • Restart your computer?

You say that it did before a repair took place… Don’t tell me UIA communication is not working as advertised…

The Calculator app is a universal app. Because universal apps are UI Automation universes, a screen reader such as JAWS must be able to retrieve what it needs via UI Automation (JAWS cursor will not work). I’m thinking that, somehow, JAWS isn’t getting what it needs to tell you what you wrote (there is another issue with stable builds of Windows 10 where screen readers cannot track typed characters reliably in universal apps, fixed in upcoming Creators Update).

One thing you can try: try using Calculator with Narrator and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:37 PM

It did without fail! I used it over the weekend. I actually had other issues prior to repairs. One of those is corrected  now, but now this is broken. LOL Gotta love program problems.

Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 1:34 AM

Hi,

Did JAWS read them before doing repairs? I have a theory as to why JAWS would not announce these now, but that requires some explanation.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 10:32 PM

Things like plus, minus, etc. are not announced, and solutions to equations are not announced. The only thing it reads are the numbers I type in which is odd.

Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 1:28 AM

Hi,

What issues are you experiencing, such as expressions not announced, keys not announced, etc.?

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 4:46 PM
Subject: Calculator in win 10

Hi again guys.

Does anyone else have trouble with the calculator in windows 10 with JFW18? I see there was an issue with JAWS 17 that was supposed to be fixed.

After I was made to do a JFW repair today due to some other oddities, the calculator decided it does not want to cooperate. I have already done a complete reinstall for other reasons, but nothing is fixing this problem.

Any thoughts? I plan to call tech support tomorrow if not.

-Alyssa

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain information
that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7998 / Virus Database: 4756/13964 - Release Date: 02/17/17

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.