From: jfw-bounces@... [mailto:jfw-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of Richard Holloway
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:21 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: SMA Notice

What's not to broadcast? This is not a secret illegal trick. At least to two
people I've spoken with at FS have made me aware of this. I get there are
reasons to stay current. And I have no problem with being legal. I support
it fully, but I don't support paying for more than one license for a single
user of the product. My question is if I am paying over and over for the
same authorizations and capacities, and it sounds like maybe I am. Perhaps
several of us are if we own both JAWS and a PAC Mate.

FS, while trying to sell me a new PAC MATE told me at a trade show that a
PAC Mate (a $3,000+ item I already bought before) includes a license to run
a full version of JAWS so long as the PAC Mate is hooked to the computer.
Unhooked JAWS would run on the computer in Demo Mode. Sort of makes sense,
you can't use both machines alone if they are connected and each has JAWS
installed.

As I already had a $1000 copy of JAWS 11 on the desktop machine, I had no
way to test it. Sounds to me like I already spent $1000 too much when I
bought JAWS and the PAC Mate at the same time as each includes apparently
includes a JAWS license. Where I am unclear is as to what versions are
supported by the PAC Mate connection and how this is enabled.

I have been hesitant to install a v12 or v13 demo on this machine to test as
I don't want to mess anything up on the full install of v.11. I was hoping
to hear from a PAC Mate user who tried this feature.

When FS called a while back to try and get me to buy a new SMA (and to
upgrade to v.12, just before V.13 came out) the sales guy confirmed JAWS is
included with a PAC Mate in this way, so again, I think this is quite
legit., I just want to figure out any limitations and options with this
feature.

Richard

On Nov 3, 2011, at 4:46 PM, Adrian Spratt wrote:

As Joni explained earlier this afternoon, there are unsung reasons to
stay current with JAWS, specifically the behind-the-scenes adjustments
that FS makes to developments on the Web.

Your daughter would soon find 40-minute mode frustrating because she'd
keep being interrupted in the middle of her thought process by the
need to reboot.

I can't comment on your Pac Mate point, and I'm not sure you want to
broadcast it, even assuming the suggestion works.

From: "Farfar on Laptoject: Re: SMA Notice

Joni,

Another way to look at your situation, is in how much money you
actually saved. If you had kept current, going from JAWS 6 through 15
would have been
5 SMA at $120 each for a total of $600. You got current + SMA for
$100
less.

So you came out ahead. Congratulations!

Of course I'm not accounting for inflation and the value of the
dollar in all this, but still...