Re: Recommendation for laptop to use with JAWS

Michelle's Home Emails

Hi there Jes

Michelle Stevens here,

I am going through the same processes with my new Lenovo. Jaws hot keys are conflicting with the default hot keys.

You will need sighted assistance to use the bios . Start the laptop in bios configurations disable hotkeys exit and save changes. If you want to use the computer's hot keys you can press the fn key which is near the left control key.

Be aware each brand of laptop may be different.

I am quite happy with Lenovo so far so good (smiles.)

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Feb 2017, at 12:56 am, Gezim Rexha <gezim_rexha@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. I remember having read on this list something about changing some function keys or so when buying a computer. Is that also something which should be considered, and can somebody explain that to me?

regards,
Gezim

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Feb 2017, at 23:26, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

My laptop before I bought my current Asus Zenbook was an Acer with one of the first generation I5 processors. I had it for 5 years and actually still have it and use it a bit at my store for doing things like scanning inventory, but it was a fantastic laptop and at the time cost about $700 here in Canada. I did replace the original 640 Gb hard drive with an SSD and with that it booted up super fast and I got about 8 or 9 hours of battery life which at the time blew me away as it was a 15.6 inch screen and it also had a DVD drive. It also has a nice keyboard with full numeric pad and I have not a bad thing to say about it. Even now after 5 years I still get 3 to 4 hours of battery depending on what I do.

Regards,
Sieghard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Poppa Bear
Sent: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:02 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Recommendation for laptop to use with JAWS

I would say that you want to have nothing less than an I7 processor. I would stay away from Lanova, and Acer myself. I like Dell, some Asus and of course Macs that have been bootcampt.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:46 AM
Subject: Re: Recommendation for laptop to use with JAWS

Pretty much most of them will do and it comes down to personal preference with respect to how big you want it to be, do you want a laptop that has a numeric pad etc. I personally like to use Jaws with the numeric pad and therefore whenever I look for a laptop I usually look at 15.6 inch models as quite a few of them do have a numeric keypad on the right.
One other consideration is memory, make sure you get a laptop that has at least 8 Gb of RAM, I usually even get one with 16 Gb or upgrade it to 16 Gb.
I personally like laptops which have an SSD (solid state drive) instead of a traditional hard drive. If you need lots of storage than that may not be an option because while SSD prices have come down a lot, beyond around 500 Gb they are still quite expensive. Also, if you are looking for a relatively inexpensive laptop then you probably won't find one that has a decent size SSD.

Good luck,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gezim Rexha
Sent: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:05 AM
Subject: Recommendation for laptop to use with JAWS

Hi all,

I would appreciate if you could give me some suggestions as I need to buy a laptop. I use latest JAWS version, and I would like to know what are the requirements for a good performance.

Cheers,
Gezim

Sent from my iPhone

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.