Symbol announcement by JAWS

Hamid Hamraz

Hi all,

I have found out that some special symbols within a text are completely ignored by jaws. I am meaning those that are not among the usual punctuations. For instance, some mathematical symbols like times, which looks like a cross, meaning multiplication, is correctly announced by Jaws. However, another symbol which represents proportionality [∝] is completely ignored by jaws. I could define a dictionary entry for such symbols. But I am just wondering if there is a more elegant way to define how to announce a symbol for jaws. Any idea is welcome!

Cheers,

Hamid