Some problems may have more than one cause and it is not always practical to chase some specific detailed remedy before trying things like rebooting hardware or clearing out settings, preferences or the like. Failing to clear out questionable settings first may waste a lot of time or even introduce additional problems as you continue to troubleshoot.

I'm no FS expert by amy means, but that is what I have found in working with a lot of computers and electronics over the last 30 years or so. The fact that this is a new problem to you or that it may indeed be new with rev 13 doesn't mean clearing the settings would not clear the problem, right? It may be the cure for that or some similar problem with this current release.

Richard

On Nov 2, 2011, at 11:42 AM, john.falter wrote:

Sorry, but that is typical tech support from any company given the limited description of your problem.
Tech support couldn't recreate your problem and sent a vanilla solution.
Intermittant problems are very difficult to resolve.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kimber Gardner" <kimbersinbox1963@gmail.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 7:01 AM
Subject: What kind of tech support is that?

Hi All,

A week or so ago I posted to the list an issue I was having with Jaws
13 where in my braille display freezes at random times in random
applications. I emailed FS tech support as well and here is the answer
I received.

"Please try resetting your JAWS user settings. This often clears up
issues of this type."

Now maybe it's me, but what the heck kind of tech support is that? I
mean this is a brand new release and I'm reporting an issue that has
never happened in earlier releases and *that* is the answer I get?

Really FS needs to do better by its long-time customers.

Kimber