From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Brown
Sent: Sunday, January 8, 2017 8:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: research it in jaws 18.

Hi,

I agree completely!  The MLB scores were great, but no more.

The problem is that the sites where ResearchIt gets the info change their XML tags and someone has to physically get that info and amend the query file for that ResearchIt item—an all day task, if you want to stay current!

The weather item you described is a great example.  In certain situations, the tag searched for is either temporarily assigned to another item, such as with a weather advisory, or the level the original tag was located has changed, so the query is on the wrong level for the search

The tags are in the same structure as your hard drive’s directory structure.

Example:

Drive C:, User, Dennis Brown, Desktop holds my Desktop icons.  Searching that path and displaying those puppies would be simple.

But what if Microsoft added another level, such as

Drive C:, User,Administrator,  Dennis Brown, Desktop , then my search query would no longer work, since it wouldn’t find Dennis Brown under User any longer.

So, the Weather issue would be

Weather Channel, Forecast, Daily, [whatever city or zip code data is searched for]

and during an advisory, it inserts

Weather Channel, Advisory, Alert

It would go for the first tag after “forecast” and get “Advisory” instead of “Daily.”

I’m reading the ResearchIt developer’s manual, and hope to have the Baseball item done before Spring Training.

Hope this helps!

Dennis

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2017 7:49 AM

Subject: research it in jaws 18.

Hi jaws users.  a couple research it questions.  first is all the sports scores options are still not available in research it.  NHL, NBA, MLB college football and NFL scores aren’t available.  is there any timeline of these things coming back and any aditional search options maybe being added in the future?  think research it is great and a really easy way to find things quickly and with the links in many results you can then have the option of expanding on what you are researching.  second question is when I use research it to get the weather, any time national weather service issues any alert air quality, winter storm watch or warning or thunderstorm watch or warning, I have to click to get the full forecast.  the forecast isn’t in the result just current conditions.  a good example was yesterday.  at about 7:00 eastern I checked weather and a winter weather advisory one to three inches of snow was forecasted.  we had a holiday party with our NFB state affiliate and it was held, but there was no way to cancel it and since we had paid for it, I didn’t cancel, but when I checked weather again at 4:00 P.M. what had been an advisory suddenly was a warning the advisory would have expired by 4:00 but the warning was up until 6:00.  to see the change in forecast I would have to click to get it.  it seems to defeat research it’s purpose and I sure as heck don’t want to have another situation where I had a furious argument when I got home from that party we are fortunate that access link didn’t shut down during it.  they had shut down in region three the southern jersey shore.