JAWS and Tables on Web Pages

Hello All,

          I am just now starting to work with a client who's using an application, Power School, that uses tables heavily.  It is a web based application and we're using IE 11 under Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) with JAWS 17.

          I am getting what seems to be very weird behavior with regard to a table we look at that's for a student's "bell schedule" which is, for all practical intents and purposes, their class schedule for any given week.  If we use the T command to gain focus on the table it's announced as having 8 columns and something like 84 rows. The number of visible columns is only six and there are nowhere near to 84 rows.  The thing is visually broken into color squares for each class under each column.  I was thinking I could exploit the jump to cell command to quickly move through the table, but the way JAWS is behaving is as though only the first two rows exist as independent cells.  What's even weirder is that if you get to a specific column JAWS will begin reading down the column as though the whole thing is one large cell, but if you interrupt it you have to go back to the beginning of the table and navigate to the column again before you can get it to read.  I've also heard it read two cells in adjacent columns then jump back to the first of those two cells when I jump directly to only the first, not reading down the entire column like it does if you navigate to the column header just above the first cell jumped to.

           Is this a JAWS bug, some peculiarity in how the table might be coded in HTML that does not match it's visual presentation, or something else entirely.  There just seems to be a complete and utter disconnect between the table's presentation and how JAWS interacts with it.

--
Brian

     Is it progress if a cannibal uses knife and fork?  ~ Stanislaw J. Lec