Re: How do I install the OCR component in JAWS 16?

Soronel Haetir

The one thing I recall with OB (though it has been a long time since I
used it) was that OB does a much better job about detecting spaces
than jaws convenient OCR. Convenient OCR has a nasty habit of not
detecting spaces for me and I then get huge 'words' that I have to
pick apart.

It can recognize text on screens which are otherwise inaccessible and if
there are elements like a Next button or a link you can click it with the
Jaws cursor. I have had installation screens of software which were just
blank to Jaws and when I ran Convenient OCR on them I was able to do what
needed to be done.
Also, if you open a PDF file which is an image you can OCR the entire
document with a single layered keystroke without ever bringing up Openbook.
I also own Openbook, but ever since Convenient OCR can do entire PDF
documents I haven't used it once and I don't even have it installed any
more. If I need to scan a paper document I either use my iPhone with KNFB
Reader or I just scan it on my Fujitsu Scansnap at my business which is a
sheet scanner and it can scan a stack of 10 double sided pages in less than
30 seconds, then I just select the Save to File option which saves the scan
as a PDF, I open the PDF and press Jaws Key + Space followed by O and D
which is the keystroke to do OCR on the entire PDF document. The result gets
put in the virtual viewer, if I need to keep it I can just to a Select All,
then copy and paste it into Notepad, Word or wherever.
I think Convenient OCR is the biggest feature in Jaws since quick nav keys
for the internet.

Regards,
Sieghard