From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2016 6:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How do I install the OCR component in JAWS 16?

It can recognize text on screens which are otherwise inaccessible and if there are elements like a Next button or a link you can click it with the Jaws cursor. I have had installation screens of software which were just blank to Jaws and when I ran Convenient OCR on them I was able to do what needed to be done.
Also, if you open a PDF file which is an image you can OCR the entire document with a single layered keystroke without ever bringing up Openbook. I also own Openbook, but ever since Convenient OCR can do entire PDF documents I haven't used it once and I don't even have it installed any more. If I need to scan a paper document I either use my iPhone with KNFB Reader or I just scan it on my Fujitsu Scansnap at my business which is a sheet scanner and it can scan a stack of 10 double sided pages in less than 30 seconds, then I just select the Save to File option which saves the scan as a PDF, I open the PDF and press Jaws Key + Space followed by O and D which is the keystroke to do OCR on the entire PDF document. The result gets put in the virtual viewer, if I need to keep it I can just to a Select All, then copy and paste it into Notepad, Word or wherever.
I think Convenient OCR is the biggest feature in Jaws since quick nav keys for the internet.

Regards,
Sieghard