Re: removing headers in Word 2016

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

If one wishes to remove only 1 header, press control shift N while the header is selected, to convert it to normal text.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Griffiths
Sent: November 18, 2016 7:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: removing headders in Word 2016

That depends on how the author set up headers. It's possible to divide a document into sections, and have different headers for each section. It's also possible to have one header for page one, and a second header for all the other pages of a section . And it's further possible to have different headers for odd and even pages within a section. So a single document can have many different headers. But your friend can't choose which ones she gets rid of - if the document is set up with a header on every page and your friend deletes the header on any page, they all go.

If your friend doesn't know how the author originally set the headers up, she's going to have to go through the document and check it.

To do this she can press Alt, N, H, E to go into the header on the current page. This adds a second Design tab to the ribbon; press Alt, J, H to get to it, Tab once to the first control on this tab, then Ctrl + Right until she's on the Options group box and make sure the first two checkboxes are unchecked. Note that if either of them is checked and she unchecks it, that will also take her out of the ribbon. That ensures there is only a single header in this section. She can then do the Alt, N, H, R to remove the header for that section.

To find out if there's more than one section in the document, press Insert + F1 and read through the output. If there is more than one section, press Escape to close the Insert + F1 dialogue, then Ctrl + G, Shift + Tab once, DownArrow to Section, then Enter to jump to the next section and Escape to close the Go To dialogue. Then repeat the instructions in the previous paragraph.

Rinse and repeat until all the sections are dealt with.

I hope that's clear? Happy to take it off list if you need to do this, or for you to pass my details on to your friend. I'm steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk

Steve