Re: removing headers in Word 2016

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

If one wishes to remove only 1 header, press control shift N while the header is selected, to convert it to normal text.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Griffiths
Sent: November 18, 2016 7:53 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: removing headders in Word 2016

That depends on how the author set up headers. It's possible to divide a document into sections, and have different headers for each section. It's also possible to have one header for page one, and a second header for all the other pages of a section . And it's further possible to have different headers for odd and even pages within a section. So a single document can have many different headers. But your friend can't choose which ones she gets rid of - if the document is set up with a header on every page and your friend deletes the header on any page, they all go.

If your friend doesn't know how the author originally set the headers up, she's going to have to go through the document and check it.

To do this she can press Alt, N, H, E to go into the header on the current page. This adds a second Design tab to the ribbon; press Alt, J, H to get to it, Tab once to the first control on this tab, then Ctrl + Right until she's on the Options group box and make sure the first two checkboxes are unchecked. Note that if either of them is checked and she unchecks it, that will also take her out of the ribbon. That ensures there is only a single header in this section. She can then do the Alt, N, H, R to remove the header for that section.

To find out if there's more than one section in the document, press Insert + F1 and read through the output. If there is more than one section, press Escape to close the Insert + F1 dialogue, then Ctrl + G, Shift + Tab once, DownArrow to Section, then Enter to jump to the next section and Escape to close the Go To dialogue. Then repeat the instructions in the previous paragraph.

Rinse and repeat until all the sections are dealt with.

I hope that's clear? Happy to take it off list if you need to do this, or for you to pass my details on to your friend. I'm steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: 18 November 2016 14:07

and would she need to select the header if she wants to remove the header from one page instead of affecting all the pages? or is there a different process?

-------- Original Message --------
From: Steve Griffiths [mailto:steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk]
Sent: Friday, Nov 18, 2016 4:07 AM EST
Subject: removing headders in Word 2016

I have Word 2016 and the header options are on the Insert tab, so it's Alt, N, H, R for me.

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: 17 November 2016 22:54

Barbara, my friend says the keytip is not working.

I also tried it on my computer using Windows 7 and Word 2010 and all I get is a ding sound when I press the H after expanding the View ribbon.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Mcginnis, Barbara [mailto:barbara.mcginnis@dhhs.nc.gov]
Sent: Thursday, Nov 17, 2016 10:14 AM EST

I have Word 2013 and I remove header by press Alt plus W for View, H for header, and R for remove header. All headers are removed from the documents. Since I don't have 2016, I can speak for that but I know this works for 2013 and I am almost positive the same feature was in 2010. Just checked Internet and it says it works the same for 2016. If your document has sections, you have to do it for each section.

Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:52 AM

My friend has posed a question that I don't know what I can tell her.
I'm not certain there is a way to remove the headings without also stripping out formatting, pictures, tables, etc?I recall in Word 2003, there was a clear option in the edit menu, but the question involves Word 2016:

"I have a very long word doc with headers, is there a way to clean up the doc and get rid of the headers without doing the entire document over?"

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized State official. Unauthorized disclosure of juvenile, health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information, including confidential information relating to an ongoing State procurement effort, is prohibited by law. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all records of this email.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire,
RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.