The purpose of file extentions is to tell windows which program a file will open.
It seems as if you want to use the .cho extention as a comment.
Please, tell us why you need to do this.

On 11/6/2016 10:57 AM, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
What I'm trying to do is add a description to an extension to substitute the
generic one. For example, I have files with the extension .cho, and rather
than just the generic "cho file", it should be something like, "Eastwest choir
file". How would I fix this?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2016 7:29 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Accessing File Types in Windows 7

Annabelle, in short, Windows 7 can only associate/open a particular
extension if Windows knows about it. it is no longer possible for the
user to add an extension and then associate it with a program. Microsoft
has removed that function from Windows 7 in order to prevent accidental
mess ups. changing is the only action a user can do, which merely
reassociates without duplicating the extension

maybe if you explain what you want to do, there's a better chance
someone can help you in whatever you're wanting to achieve.