Re: V 18 disappointment

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

Good information to keep in mind. I was seriously thinking about switching to a A Mac computer, but I will rethink this possibility for now.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 2, 2016, at 9:02 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

You don’t have to pay for accessibility, but I would hazard a guess and say that you probably would use a Mac laptop for maybe 5 or 6 years. Let’s say it is 6 years which means you would buy about 3 SMA renewals. If you are using the home version that is maybe $360 or $400 or whatever the Home SMA costs. I would furthermore say that you probably pay at least that much in premium for buying a Mac laptop, they have come down in price, but you still pay more for them than for a good Windows laptop. I just bought a very nice Linovo Flex 3 convertible laptop with touch screen for a bit over $800 Canadian and I am paying maybe an extra $50 to have the RAM upgraded from 8 Gb to 16 Gb. I doubt I could buy a Mac laptop for that price. My last laptop was an Acer which is now 5 years old. It still works quite well and it still gets about 3 hours of battery after all that time. I paid $699 for that one 5 years ago and it seriously was the best laptop I ever owned, it got easily 8 to 9 hours of battery life when it was new. Both my old Acer and this new Linovo are 15 inch laptops and both have a full numeric pad to the right of the keyboard which I like since I just can’t get used to using Jaws with the laptop layout.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lauren Snyder
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 4:08 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: V 18 disappointment

Hi,

I was hoping for much more from Jaws 18 especially in regards to Outlook 2016. I can’t see any difference.

I think given I have no more SMAs and can’t afford the price of the next release, when my laptop ages some more, I may switch to a Mac as you don’t have to pay for accessibility.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: V 18 disapointment

And if you’re running the home version which I would venture to guess that most  of us are, you’re talking something like $5.00 a month  if you break it down.

I’m not particularly happy with  this upgrade that ate up my last SMA, but Jaws has made a huge difference for me. Especially with the increased multi-lingual support. $5.00 a month is a Pandora subscription or  one less  Starbucks/Jamba  Juice  run a month. Even  the Pro version which I had for  many years before downgrading still was tolerable.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Melissa Stott
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 2:12 PM

This is why I would much rather pay every 2 years than to wait several upgrades later.

Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:19 AM

Richard,
The only problem with what you are doing is come the day that you have to upgrade jaws and or your operating system, and that day will come, it is going to cost you a fortune

On Nov 1, 2016, at 09:02, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

I must add to this discussion that I am "still" on JAWS 13 and Windows 7.  Frankly, I have seen nothing really worthwhile in any of the upgrades of either JAWS or Windows since these versions.  Most of the so-called "improvements" in JAWS are nothing more than fixes of things that did not work correctly or the addition of things that should have been there all along; like the mouse announcement thing now (finally) in v. 18, as others have commented.  What a racket indeed : (

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Drew Hunthausen
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2016 8:23 AM
Subject: V 18 disapointment

I just got the official e-mail announcing Jaws 18. Disappointed! Doesn’t sound like there is anything improved or new that I will use. Won’t upgrade anytime soon!

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.