From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Soronel Haetir
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 12:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Old vocalizer voices versus new vocalizer voices

I find listening to fiction with a mechanical sounding voice (like
eloquence) uncomfortable. Eloquence is great for things where I am listening to short pieces (maxing out at about single sentences) but not so much where I sit back and let the synthesizer go. Eloquence also has significant buffering problems where it will speed up dramatically when speaking long pieces (like full pages or especially chapters). I already have eloquence set at 120, very much above that and I find it becomes absolute gibberish. 125 is marginal but at 130 I find myself missing quite a lot.

The problem with very human sounding voices is that they will always
sound funny at high speed. If you think we aren't there yet in terms
of quality you just have to listen to the Amazon Echo, Alexa reading a
Kindl book sounds absolutely amazing, but I doubt she would sound as
good if she was talking twice as fast. I wouldn't want my wife or
people around me talk to me as fast as I have set Eloquence.

Regards,
Sieghard