Re: Old vocalizer voices versus new vocalizer voices

Soronel Haetir

I find listening to fiction with a mechanical sounding voice (like
eloquence) uncomfortable. Eloquence is great for things where I am
listening to short pieces (maxing out at about single sentences) but
not so much where I sit back and let the synthesizer go. Eloquence
also has significant buffering problems where it will speed up
dramatically when speaking long pieces (like full pages or especially
chapters). I already have eloquence set at 120, very much above that
and I find it becomes absolute gibberish. 125 is marginal but at 130 I
find myself missing quite a lot.

The problem with very human sounding voices is that they will always sound
funny at high speed. If you think we aren't there yet in terms of quality
you just have to listen to the Amazon Echo, Alexa reading a Kindl book
sounds absolutely amazing, but I doubt she would sound as good if she was
talking twice as fast. I wouldn't want my wife or people around me talk to
me as fast as I have set Eloquence.

Regards,
Sieghard