Re: V 18 disapointment

I guess among all the Jaws 18 bashing I would like to say something positive. Jaws 18 may not be as much as an update as 16 was with Convenient OCR, but while some of you think this should have been there since version 1 I feel a bit different. Convenient OCR is a feature I sometimes use multiple times each day and for me it has fully replaced separate OCR software hence it’s also saving me money as I don’t have to maintain another software.

I should point out that I don’t work for FS or have any other connection, but I personally don’t mind giving them a couple of hundred bucks every 2 years to continue to improve, fix and add new features. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect them to do this for free, after all, they are not Apple who makes tons of money from their hardware or Google who gets rich by collecting and using your private information to advertise to you. Also, if you were Jonathan Mosen you would also put the new version into a positive light just as you would support any other company you worked for whether it’s as an employee or on contract. There is always NVDA for those who feel Jaws isn’t worth the money any more. I think it’s still the best screenreader out there and it continues to allow me to run my business to which I am thankful.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2016 6:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: V 18 disapointment

I have to defend 16, especially the OCR feature.  Agreed some of the alleged improvements through the years haven’t amounted to much, but this is a winner.  If u use Office 2013 or later, The ability to both create and edit PDF’s can be a real plus.  I’ve told the story on this list of the old ham radio manual that came to me as an image file and really needed a cleanup.  This combo can do the job.  Also, don’t forget PDF’s in the work place.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2016 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: V 18 disapointment

I must add to this discussion that I am "still" on JAWS 13 and Windows 7.  Frankly, I have seen nothing really worthwhile in any of the upgrades of either JAWS or Windows since these versions.  Most of the so-called "improvements" in JAWS are nothing more than fixes of things that did not work correctly or the addition of things that should have been there all along; like the mouse announcement thing now (finally) in v. 18, as others have commented.  What a racket indeed : (

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Drew Hunthausen
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2016 8:23 AM
Subject: V 18 disapointment

I just got the official e-mail announcing Jaws 18. Disappointed! Doesn’t sound like there is anything improved or new that I will use. Won’t upgrade anytime soon!

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.