Re: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use your computer?

Elaine Young <hidden_spring@...>

This is good info- I assume I hit the three keys one at time, sure can't reach them all at once with only two hands! Right?

Elaine

On 9/28/2016 3:08 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Jaws Key+Windows+F4 will dump Jaws and restart it. It is meant as a last resort when Jaws hangs or crashes in which case this key combination usually brings it back.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use your computer?

You can skip the Yes question by using Jaws+Windows+F4.  Jaws will shut down immediately.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:03 PM

Unloading Jaws does not require you to set up a shortcut key, Jaws Key+F4 will do this, it is a built-in shortcut key and if you press it Jaws will say the following:

Unloading JAWS

Quit JAWS dialog

Are you sure you want to quit JAWS? Press Enter to quit now, or Escape to cancel.

OK

At this point focus is on the OK button, so just press enter and Jaws will go away, if you don't want it to do this press Escape.

As for bringing Jaws back as other pointed out you'll have to add a shortcut key combination like Control+Shift+J to the Jaws shortcut on the desktop.

As long as the Jaws shortcut is on your desktop you can also press Windows+M a couple of times to make sure all Windows are minimized and you are on the desktop, then type "J" and as long as Jaws is the only shortcut that starts with J focus will now be on Jaws and pressing enter will start it.

A final method is to use Windows+R to bring up the Run dialogue, type "Jaws" followed by your version and press enter. For example, if you have Jaws 17 then type "Jaws17" without space and press enter.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:28 AM

That’s what I thought. So how can I set up my computer, via short cut keystrokes, to completely shut off JAWS, and still easily bring it back up once said sightling is finished?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:21 AM

Hi, Mike. If you shut off only the voicing of JAWS, it will still interfere with typing text into form fields. Sighted users won't be able to type into edit fields without activating them in JAWS, unless JAWS is completely unloaded.

Bill White billwhite92701@...

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:08 AM

Thanks! Do you think if I go that route and shut off just the voicing, it won’t interfere with a sightling’s normal navigation of whatever program they’re working with? As in maneuvering the mouse ETC?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Tesar
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:05 AM

Hello Michael,

If all you want to do is silence JAWS, you can do this without killing JAWS.

You will have to use the layered command.

Use the numpad insert key, this is the JAWS modifier key.

JAWS plus space bar, then press "s" to toggle the synthesizer on or off.

Peter T

On 2016-09-28 7:35 AM, Delaunay Christophe wrote:

Hi Michael,

First, check whether the Jaws shortcut you should have on your desktop has a shortcut key or not. In order to do so, select it and press <alt+enter> to display its properties.

Then, tab twice. You should hear “Shortcut key (hotkey):” and something more. If this additional information is simply <none>, type a key on your keyboard, (the letter j for instance). Then, tab away from this item, and shift+tab back to it. You should now hear “Shortcut key (hotkey): ctrl+alt+j”. “j” could be replaced with the letter you typed.

If it’s ok, tab until the Ok button and press <enter>.

In order to check if it works, try pressing it. Jaws cannot be launched twice but it should inform you about such an attempt, for instance, by placing you into the Jaws window or opening the Jaws context menu, (depends on whether you choose to minimize jaws in the taskbar on in the notification area).

Now, if it works, you can confidently type <jawskey+f4> in order to shut jaws down. After your sighted friend gives you back your computer, simply type the hotkey you previously defined and jaws should restart soon.

HTH, Have a nice day. ChD

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:01 PM
Subject: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use your computer?

So every now and then one of my sighted friends comes over and wants to check something out on the internet. But she’s always complaining about my eloquence’s voice program running with JAWS.

So what’s the fastest and best way to shut JAWS down, and the fastest and best way to bring it back up, after she’s done?

I know way back when, on a different computer, I had someone put on some  short cut keys to disable JAWS, once disabled you could just hit those short cut keys again, and JAWS would come back up.

So how do I go about setting this up again on my current laptop?

Although, it’s kind of funny listening to a sightling freak out; when having to listen to eloquence going a thousand miles an hour while working on your computer!

Michael D. Ulrich

Just an ordinary average blind guy!

“Providing Insight for Blindness”

Florida Council of the Blind

Fundraising Committee Member

Home Phone: 239-540-7431

Cell phone: 239-565-5845

Email: mulrich@...

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14190 (20160928) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14193 (20160928) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2015.0.6201 / Virus Database: 4656/13104 - Release Date: 09/28/16

-- 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are afraid to move your feet. -Mike Hingson in the book Thunderdog 

SponsoredBy Content.Ad

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.