Re: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use your computer?

Marianne Denning

If you have JAWS running on your task bar and you know its number you can press the menu or windows key and that number to launch it. To check this go to your task bar. The The first item would be menu key 1, the next menu key 2... For example, I would press menu key 6 because JAWS is in the sixth position on my task bar.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Delaunay Christophe <christophe.delaunay@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

First, check whether the Jaws shortcut you should have on your desktop has a shortcut key or not. In order to do so, select it and press <alt+enter> to display its properties.

Then, tab twice. You should hear “Shortcut key (hotkey):” and something more. If this additional information is simply <none>, type a key on your keyboard, (the letter j for instance). Then, tab away from this item, and shift+tab back to it. You should now hear “Shortcut key (hotkey): ctrl+alt+j”. “j” could be replaced with the letter you typed.

If it’s ok, tab until the Ok button and press <enter>.

In order to check if it works, try pressing it. Jaws cannot be launched twice but it should inform you about such an attempt, for instance, by placing you into the Jaws window or opening the Jaws context menu, (depends on whether you choose to minimize jaws in the taskbar on in the notification area).

Now, if it works, you can confidently type <jawskey+f4> in order to shut jaws down. After your sighted friend gives you back your computer, simply type the hotkey you previously defined and jaws should restart soon.

HTH, Have a nice day. ChD