From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Soronel Haetir
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:47 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: Checkmark / Square Root symbol

You can add symbols by editing the *.sbl files in your jaws profile
directory (either your personal user profile or the all users
pdirectory)

For example, I have added the following to my c:\Users\All
Users\Freedom Scientific\Jaws\13.0\Settings\enu\eloq.sbl:

Symbol138=U+3A3=Cap Sigma
symbol139=u+03c3 11111111 small sigma
Symbol140=U+00FB 11111111 Checkmark

to the American English section.

And now jaws speaks those particular characters. Note that after
editing the .spl file you have to restart jaws, it does not pick up
the changes automatically. Also, in order to edit the shared profile,
you either need to change the security permissions on the files or run
your editor as administrator.

I learned of this after asking FS basically the same question.

On 9/27/11, Zaheer Sheikh <cybergeek2020@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Mike,

I use alt+251 to insert the Square Root symbol. As you already
mentioned, jaws will read it as letter "v". You can add the Square
Root symbol in the default dictionary manager, and then jaws will read
it correctly.

This is how I did it:

1. Open notepad.
2. Press ALT+251, this will insert the Square Root symbol.
3. Note that Jaws will read the Square Root symbol as letter "V".
4. Select and copy the symbol without any spaces.
5. Open the Jaws default dictionary manager from the Jaws utilities
submenu.
6. Select the Add button to add new entry in the Dictionary.
6. Paste the symbol in the "Actual word" edit box.
7. Type "Square Root" in the "Replacement word" edit box.
8. Tab to OK.

Hope this helps,

Zaheer Sheikh

On 9/27/11, Adrian Spratt <Adrian@adrianspratt.com> wrote:
Mike,

I don't have a definite answer, but here are three possibilities to
explore:

1. Add 0 before the 251 code. Thus 0251

2. In the past, some listers came to the conclusion that the process you
describe produces not ASCII, but ANSI code. I've just now been looking
around the Net for an ANSI codes list, but I couldn't find an accessible
one
quickly. It might be worth a try.

3. I may be reading this wrong, but an ASCII table I just looked at
indicates that the ASCII code for square root isn't 251, but 252.

Let us know if you find an answer.