Re: How to see what I have running in background?

A bunch of general notes:

  • 40% CPU usage is nowhere near to "high."  If you're experiencing bad lagging at 40% CPU usage you need to see if something is thrashing your hard disc.  A machine should be flying along at 40% CPU usage if nothing else is preventing it from doing so.
  • The 64-bit Windows environment still uses lots of 32-bit processes.  Many programs that come in 32 and 64 bit will even install 32-bit by default unless instructed otherwise on a 64-bit system.
  • Many programs, whether part of the Windows OS or not (Chrome being one example) run many simultaneous processes.  In the case of Chrome it's one per tab plus a couple more (I can't remember the exact count)
  • If you are having horrible lag at system start this can very often be the result of an orphan entry in the registry or startup folder that's trying to start something that's no longer on your system.  Some programs are notorious for not cleaning up after themselves well when they are uninstalled while others can end up this way if uninstalled incorrectly.  Windows will keep trying and trying and trying to start up processes/programs that are specified as part of boot up even when they are no longer present, and it hangs waiting for a response and, after some ungodly long period of time without response, will try again to start whatever it happens to be.  (At least this has been the case for as long as I've been working with Windows.  This might have changed with Windows 10, but I doubt it.

--
Brian

         ~ William James