Re: How to see what I have running in background?

mike mcglashon

good morning guys
I have been following this thread for a little while
The gentleman said that if I take the program name and put it in Google it would tell me whether or not the file in question is a necessary operating system file to be running
Will it describe what the program does and will it be straightforward and telling us whether it's an operating system bio?
Or
Well it just give us its function
Which would still bag

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 20, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Hi, Mike. You don't have 56 aps running. What you have is 56 separate processes running. Some of these are Windows operating system-associated files which is how the operating system runs. Other things may be programs such as Adobe Reader. If you are unsure of what a process is, look at the file by using JAWS Key plus the 5 key on the NumPad twice quickly. This will cause JAWS to spell the entire filename. Once you know the spelling of the filename, look up this filename on Google, and see if it is an essential Windows Operating System process. If it is, don't turn it off.

Now to your second question. If you press the "End Process" button, it will only end the process which is currently highlighted.

One of the things I find when searching through my processes is that occasionally, I will have this process running even though I am done with the ap. The process is:
iexplore.exe

This is Internet Explorer's ap. When I find this, I end all iexplore.exe processes. Just be sure you know the difference between iexplore.exe and explore.exe. Explore.exe is an essential Windows process, and is how Windows displays all your files and folders. Do Not turn off this process, or you will need to reboot your computer to get it going properly again.

Good luck with your endeavors at using the Task Manager.