Re: A Question About Selecting/Using A Different Voice for Narrator via the Freedom Scientific TTS Download Site in Windows 10, Anniversary Edition

paul lemm

hi Mark,

so I think from windows vista and onwards if you go to control panel and
adjust the text to speech properties it only updates the speech properties
for
64bit speech. You can get windows to use the 32bit speech properties instead
of the 64bit speech properties by adjusting the 32bit speech properties,
however you can only access this through the run command. So bring up the
run window (by pressing windows key and typing run then pressing enter) then
type the following leaving out the quotation marks at the start and end
"C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl"

and then press enter. This brings up the 32bit speech properties window, If
you wanted Tom to be your default voice for games or other screen readers
like NVDA and other applications select Tom from the list of available
32-bit Sapi voices, and press enter on the Apply button. At this point the
system default voice is then set to whatever you just selected. The only
issue with this is narrator being a 64bit program if you use narrator at
any point it automatically changes the settings back to the 64bit voices
which won't be the jaws ones.

hope the above all makes sense, I think I've made that sound a lot more
complex than it actually is lol

Paul