From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 10:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Google Chrome question

Lauren,

         I will presume you're working under Windows 10.  Although the principle of what follows applies to earlier versions of Windows the step-by-step instructions I will be giving do not.  It sounds like Google Chrome is currently set as your default web browser and you'd prefer that IE11 be your default web browser.  The following steps will allow you to set any installed web browser on your system as the one that will be used by default for click-through links.  I regret to say that this does not apply, at all, to Cortana if you're using the Personal Digital Assistant feature, as she's had a "forced marriage" to MS-Edge and Bing.

To set your default web browser:

  1. Hit the Windows Key and immediately type "Default Web Browser".  This will get you the "Choose a default web browser" system setting as the first and only returned item.  Hit Enter.
  2. You will now be in System Settings and be placed directly on the web browser button, which will announce whatever web browser happens to be your current default, and at the moment it sounds like yours will announce "Google Chrome"
  3. Activate the button and you will get a context menu that allows you to select any of the web browsers that came pre-installed with Windows 10, and this includes Internet Explorer, or any that you've installed such as Google Chrome or Firefox.  Once you've gained focus on your desired web browser hit Enter to assign it as the default.

After having done the above when you "click through" on a link it should open in Internet Explorer until or unless you change your default browser to something else or a Windows Update changes it for you (which can happen, and usually reverts it to MS-Edge, but doesn't happen often).
--
Brian

         ~ William James