lucky1@gmail.com

Without them, hunanity cannot survive.
--Dalai Lama

On 8/30/2016 12:47 PM, Mario wrote:
so, would it be advisable to occasionally check if there are updates?
I also need to know how because I'm not sure if I noted how to check.
it's probably simple but I still want to make a note on how to do it.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016 12:34 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Question about upgrading

Mario,

The Anniversary Update will be detected, and an attempt to
download it made, if Windows Update detects it has not been applied and
one's individual machine happens to be in the current rollout group (and
I have no idea how Microsoft works out its groupings, just that these
major updates are not shot to every Windows 10 machine at one time, but
occur in "chunks" of the Windows 10 embedded base).

If you shut your machine down nightly it is entirely possible
that you might not end up completing the process of downloading and
installing since this particular update is quite substantial in size. I
do not recommend to my clients that they do shut their machines down on
a daily basis, particularly if you have a conventional disc drive that
isn't one that's designed to, essentially, turn itself off when it's not
been accessed for a while. The wear and tear on spinning a disc up to
speed after being shut down is a lot worse over repeated cycles than
just letting the thing keep on spinning. You could also be in the same
situation if you work at night and shut your machine down during the
day. Windows Update generally checks sometime shortly after a machine
starts up if it's been off for any significant period of time to see if
there are updates available, but once it finds them if you don't give it
sufficient time to download and install these you can be in a perpetual,
"I need this, I'm getting this, I stopped the process in the middle so I
need to start over again" loop. As a general rule I recommend leaving
your computer on, period, but if you you see that Windows Update is
pulling down a major update like the Anniversary Update in particular
you should definitely let the computer run and do its thing.

Other points:

1. Jump Lists have not been eliminated and this can be confirmed in the
Personalization settings where the toggle switch for "Show recently
opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the Task Bar" still exists.
2. I have no idea what the KBB number for the Anniversary Update is.
You can, however, tell if you have it by hitting the Windows Key,
typing "winver", then hitting enter. If the About Windows dialog
that comes up tells you that you are running Version 1607 then you
have already got the Anniversary Update. If not then the most
likely version you'd be running is 1511.